Head of People
San Francisco /
People – People /
Billions of people around the world are learning English to unlock economic opportunity for themselves and their families. Cambly gives those English learners on-demand access to native English speaking tutors to help them reach their full potential. We’re growing fast and looking for a people leader to define and lead the people function at Cambly. We’re looking for someone who’s willing to “roll up their sleeves” and drive building policies around employment, people development and happiness, operationalization of cultural values, compensation and benefits. This is a hugely impactful role that will define the placement, productivity, and happiness of an all-star team that’s making a large impact on millions of English learners around the world. We have a global team, so you should be excited about scaling our culture to teams in 8 countries. As our first people leader, you’ll be in charge of the entire people function of the company. You’ll work closely with our founders to develop and lead all people efforts as well as our technical recruiter to recruit new teammates to hit our hiring targets. You’ll build the associated teams as needed to scale our people operations.
- Develop people initiatives: happiness, engagement, training, resources planning, company culture enhancement, team building, employee development, etc.
- Lead and grow our talent team to meet the company’s growth targets
- Provide valued consultation, build partnerships, coach and influence senior leadership
- Work with our legal/compliance and finance teams to oversee legal and regulatory topics that relate to People Operations, including immigration and other employment-related areas. Advise our global GMs on the same in their respective countries.
- Set up and administer the HR policies and procedures
- Shape and nurture our culture, while aligning with our values, mission, and vision
- The right person will thrive in an "roll up your sleeves" environment, loves solving people problems and can pivot quickly
- At least five years of experience in senior People Operations-related leadership roles, preferably at both small and large tech companies
- Experience researching and implementing compensation structure, career ladders, and performance reviews
- Experience working closely with talent teams
- Demonstrated success maintaining culture in a high-growth, technical company
- Data-driven and analytical when making decisions
- Strong business acumen and the ability to translate business strategy into HR initiatives
- Knowledgeable about issues related to Diversity and Inclusion within tech
- Ability to have hard, honest, and respectful conversations with a high degree of empathy
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and able to use situational appropriate communication techniques including consulting, influence, information sharing and negotiating on complex topics