Software Engineer, Backend
San Francisco /
Product – Engineering /
We're looking for talented engineers who are passionate about changing the way people learn languages. As a Cambly engineer, you'll be part of a small and fast-moving engineering team where you'll have a large impact on all parts of the Cambly platform. We've been growing rapidly among language learners around the world, so you'll get to learn what it's like to join a fast growing startup that's creating opportunities for our students and tutors alike.
As a backend-focused Software Engineer, you'll be responsible for building and scaling a global on-demand video chat marketplace. Our app is simple, but there's a complex system behind the scenes making sure our rapidly growing community of students and tutors are being matched quickly for 1-on-1 tutoring sessions 24/7. You'll also be responsible for making sure we scale up best practices for backend development to maximize our uptime as we grow.
- A product-minded approach to engineering. You should be excited about working directly with our students, tutors, and our international team to make sure students have an amazing experience.
- 3+ years experience building and shipping python backend features quickly as part of a team.
- 3+ years building and maintaining high availability production infrastructure.
- Experience working with MongoDB in production.
- A passion for learning. You fearlessly dive into new and unfamiliar technologies.
- A global perspective. You should be excited about building an app in 10+ languages that integrates with the social networks and payment methods used by our students.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
On a small and nimble team, every engineer should be able to learn new technologies quickly and jump in anywhere in our stack. While this position is specifically for backend, you should have experience using or be excited about learning all the parts of Cambly including iOS, Android, and React.js.