Senior Software Engineer, Backend
San Francisco /
Product – Engineering /
We're looking for talented senior engineers who are passionate about changing the way people learn languages. As a Cambly engineer, you'll be part of a small and fast-moving engineering team (~10 engineers and growing) where you'll have a large impact on all parts of our platform. We've been growing rapidly among language learners around the world, so you'll get to learn what it's like to join a fast growing startup that's creating opportunities for our students and tutors alike.
As a backend-focused Software Engineer, you'll be responsible for building and scaling a global on-demand video chat marketplace. Our app is simple, but there's a complex system behind the scenes making sure our rapidly growing community of students and tutors are being matched quickly for 1-on-1 tutoring sessions 24/7. You'll also be responsible for making sure we scale up best practices for backend development to maximize our uptime as we grow.
Our backend is Flask + Gunicorn running on MongoDB. Redis is our PubSub backbone for powering our realtime features. Opentok & Agora power our video chat, while Algolia powers our tutor search. We use Elasticsearch, Kibana, Bigquery, Metabase, New Relic, Sentry, monitoring and metrics. Our Frontend is React + Redux.
Come help us:
- Conceive, design, build, and launch new user-facing features
- Develop, release, and scale backend services and/or infrastructure
- Think critically about shaping our software
Work on projects like:
- Scaling our Production Infrastructure, including, sharding and scaling a large-scale MongoDB; Scaling our pubsub infrastructure that powers our real-time features.
- Building a framework for security & auditing of all actions that guarantees customer data is protected.
- Improving our marketplace ecosystem: continuing to ensure students always find a great tutor for their needs, and tutors are able to fill their schedule with students.
- Improve reliability in markets with less reliable internet infrastructure.
- Expanding our data-access layer to support GraphQL access.
- You have 5 years or more experience building and shipping python backend features quickly as part of a team.
- You have 3 years or more building and maintaining high availability production infrastructure.
- Experience working with MongoDB in production.
- A passion for learning. You fearlessly dive into new and unfamiliar technologies.
- A product-minded approach to engineering. You should be excited about working directly with our students, tutors, and our international team to make sure students have an amazing experience.
On a small and nimble team, every engineer should be able to learn new technologies quickly and jump in anywhere in our stack. While this position is specifically for backend, you should have experience using or be excited about learning all the parts of Cambly including iOS, Android, and React.js.
Interested in joining the team, but don’t think this role is the best fit for you? View our other positions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We believe in order to thrive, businesses need a diverse team and leadership. We welcome every background, identity, abilities, and mindset to join us on our mission to make high quality English education for all. Everyone is welcome here.