Senior Software Engineer, Payments
San Francisco /
Product – Engineering /
We're looking for our first engineer focused on payments to lead development of our payments infrastructure. Our mission is to make high quality English education available to everyone, and that means making sure that our global students can pay their amazing tutors who are rarely in the same country. Local payment methods are often one of the first breakthroughs in our growth when we launch a new market. We're growing quickly, and investing in making safe and easy to pay for Cambly around the world has been a major driver of our success.
We've built a subscription management system in our Python backend that makes it easy to swap out payment providers like Stripe, Adyen, and other cross border payment systems we work with. You'll be responsible for leading engineering efforts on the system to support new ways to pay, defining best practices to keep our payments system secure, and making sure our payments data is accessible for internal business and financial analysis.
Work on projects like:
- Work with one of our market GMs to integrate a new payment processor to unlock growth in a new market.
- Collaborate with PMs, designers, and other engineers to launch an A/B test for a new checkout flow to improve conversion rates.
- Work with the finance team to make sure data from our payment system aligns with our financials.
- Analyze chargeback data to reduce fraudulent purchases on the platform.
- 5+ years working as a software engineer on production backend systems
- 2+ years working on payments systems for consumer software businesses. International payments experience preferred.
- Experience collaborating with finance teams on audits of financial data
- High level of proficiency in Python
- Experience designing easy-to-use abstraction layers for payments or other similar APIs
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of collaborating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues on financial concepts
Interested in joining the team, but don’t think this role is the best fit for you? View our other positions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We believe in order to thrive, businesses need a diverse team and leadership. We welcome every background, identity, ability, and mindset to join us on our mission to make high quality English education for all. Everyone is welcome here.