Head of Product Design
San Francisco /
Product – Design /
Billions of people around the world are learning English to unlock economic opportunity for themselves and their families. Cambly gives those English learners on-demand access to native English speaking tutors to help them reach their full potential. While there are many language learning apps out there, the vast majority aren’t designed to help serious learners beyond a beginner level. Cambly’s global tutor community has diverse skillsets and experience to help professionals get ahead in their career and help parents give their children a head start.
We're looking for a product designer to lead our design strategy and manage our product design team. You’ll fit right in if you’re excited about changing the lives of students and tutors on our platform and energized by working with a team with the same passion. Our team is small, so you’ll be exposed to all parts of the business beyond design. You’ll have a big impact on defining the nascent design culture within our company and how it influences our strategy. As an English learning service, we have a uniquely global user base and team. You’ll need to have a global perspective to view your work through the eyes of our diverse and multi-lingual students who are all trying to improve their ability to communicate with the world.
Some example projects
- Designing a virtual classroom, tailored to 1-on-1 English instruction, with interactive lessons to make the most of each tutoring session.
- Thinking about how to match each student with the perfect tutor who understands their career, their upcoming English exam, or their favorite hobbies.
- Designing a subscription system that accepts diverse payment methods used by our global student and takes into account different expectations about how subscriptions should work.
- 5+ years of experience working in product design
- Experience managing product designers
- Experience designing for a consumer product on both web and mobile platforms
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills
- Significant experience using design tools: Figma, Sketch, Illustrator, etc.
- A global perspective. You should be excited about designing an app in 10+ languages and be able to view your work from the perspective of our students
- Excitement about working in a fast-paced startup environment