Korea Country Manager
General and Administrative – General Management /
Cambly is growing fast in Korea and globally and this is your chance to join our truly international team. A unique opportunity to work in Korea while immersed in silicon valley's culture with strong entrepreneurial spirit and a lot of responsibility and autonomy.
We're looking for an experienced leader who is passionate about education to lead our growth efforts in Korea. We're a startup, so you should be eager to embrace many roles including ones you may have less experience with. Your role will build out the overall Korean marketplace for Cambly, assuring we have a strong team of highly engaged, high performers having a favorable career-experience and able to grow with the company along with strong product fit and marketing effectiveness addressing regional nuances.
We've been growing rapidly among English learners around the world, so you'll get to learn what it's like to join a fast growing startup with massive potential to improve the lives of English learners everywhere.
You will be responsible for:
- First and foremost, helping us fulfill our vision to reach every English learner in the world with Cambly’s high quality English language education
- Developing well defined point of view on competitive landscape in Korean market and positioning Cambly’s value proposition in the most compelling way
- Leading, inspiring, hiring, retaining and aligning our local team, full-time employees and independent contractors for best individual contributions and experience and to achieve overall country targets
- Educating all key stakeholders of business strengths and highlights, issues, actions to achieve planned growth, advocating for global support for any key dependencies and assuring team understands the nuances of the business so each member is empowered to contribute fully to success
- Building and leading our regional team and foster a culture based on Cambly's values
- Pursuing partnerships with schools, businesses, and government agencies as part of the go-to-market strategy
- Managing the finances and budget of our regional business operations
- Collaborating with our global growth team (Product and Finance) to identify and execute new global growth strategies, setting ambitious growth targets and assuring initiatives will result in achieving our vision and operational success, this includes:
- Owning, driving, and reporting on key marketing efficiency metrics such as P&L, CAC, LTV
- Analyzing your country’s key metrics and develop strategies and tactics that are backed by data
- Working closely with the regional team and come up with a user acquisition strategy based on your target audience, local customer behaviors and Cambly best practices
- Allocating your country’s marketing budget into different digital marketing channels (social media, search, content, influencer, email marketing etc) in a cost efficient way
- Continuously test new user acquisition activities to find new profitable growth opportunities
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, finance or a related field
- 10+ years experience in a related field to Cambly's business (consumer internet, app-based solution)
- Domain expertise in consumer marketing, digital marketing expertise
- 5+ years of people leadership experience, bringing inspirational qualities and know-how to help individuals reach their full potential
- Track record of bridging the local market with a multinational company’s global headquarters
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills in consumer behaviors and related marketing strategies and tactics
- Ability to make sound business decisions based on multiple options/scenarios and ability to evaluate performance based on data
- Entrepreneurial mentality, creative thinking, and an ability to set and execute a strategy autonomously with no playbook for success
- A passion for learning and teaching and excitement about creating opportunities for English learners
- Fluent in English and native in Korean
Cambly was founded in 2012 by Kevin Law and Sameer Shariff, two former Google engineers who decided to start a company to help people around the world to study English. Cambly has native teachers from countries like the United States, Canada and England online 24 hours a day for students to instantly connect to private classes via video chat. The service can be accessed through the computer, Android or iOS applications. Today, the service is used in more than 190 countries around the world. Cambly was first backed by the Silicon Valley Accelerator Y Combinator in 2014 and was selected as YC top company in January 2021.
Press Release: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrickcai/2022/06/08/cambly-series-b-english-language-app-profitable/
Founder Sameer's interview on Podcast: https://www.joincolossus.com/episodes/51567490/shariff-breaking-language-barriers?tab=blocks