Data Engineering Lead
San Francisco /
Product – Engineering /
We're looking for our first data engineer to define and lead the data engineering function at Cambly. Accurate data is critical to strategic decisions across the company, and you'll be responsible for ensuring our product, operations, and marketing teams have access to high quality data to do their best work. You'll be working closely with engineers and data scientists to build pipelines to bring accurate data into our data warehouse. You'll also be working cross functionally with teams across our company to understand the questions they need to ask of our data and thinking strategically about the best way for them to answer it.
Our current data pipelines currently use python scripts to import data from our production MongoDB and ads APIs to Google BigQuery. Team members across disciplines at Cambly use Metabase to access BigQuery for the analysis they need to guide their work. We're excited to rebuild our data infrastructure to improve the integrity of the pipeline as well to make it more scaleable and maintainable. We're looking for someone knowledgable about the latest technologies available but also pragmatic about choosing the right tools for the job.
Work on projects like:
- Work with our CEO and marketing teams to tune how we measure and model CAC and LTV for each customer acquisition channels, and build the tables to make that ongoing analysis easy.
- Work with our data scientist to define the questions about how tutors and students are matched in our marketplace, and build the pipeline to surface all the data needed to answer those questions.
- 5+ years of experience working with data pipelines as a data engineer or similar role
- 2+ years of experience working with user acquisition data and APIs (Facebook, Google, Adjust, Kochava, etc)
- Hands-on experience doing analysis and taking a critical look at the underlying data
- High level of proficiency in SQL and Python
- Experience developing pipeline monitoring systems to maintain data integrity
- Experience building and scaling data pipelines with tools like Spark and Airflow
- Experience managing a data warehouse like BigQuery
- Excellent communication skills with a track record of collaborating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues
Interested in joining the team, but don’t think this role is the best fit for you? View our other positions.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We believe in order to thrive, businesses need a diverse team and leadership. We welcome every background, identity, ability, and mindset to join us on our mission to make high quality English education for all. Everyone is welcome here.