VP of Business Development (Remote)
San Mateo, CA /
Business Development /
Full-time | Remote
We are Candidate Labs, a modern search firm built as a technology company. We’re reimagining what’s possible in the recruiting space by creating a radically better experience for both professionals and the technology companies hiring them. Through end-to-end process reinvention and technology enablement, our team of experienced search professionals are delivering results other firms simply cannot.
We are founded by repeat entrepreneurs who've previously raised over $100M from VCs including A16Z, GV, and KPCB. Our team looks like the technology companies we serve, combining software developers, PhD’s, and talent professionals, and we are backed by top VCs, talent leaders, and the founders of high-growth startups including Opendoor, Newfront Insurance, and Lattice.
As the Head of Business Development, you’ll lead the strategy, team build, and execution of our business development function as we scale from $7M to $35M in annualized revenue.
In our first two years of business, our business development has been led by the founders and a small team of individual contributors. You’ll play a crucial role as the first executive with direct responsibility overseeing the entire business development function and leading it to a new level of scale.
This is a multifaceted role that oversees several key areas, from channel partnerships with top-tier VC firms to long-term relationship building with existing and prospective clients. You’ll improve and scale a quick sales cycle that combines speed with a consultative approach, building out the team to drive this motion to greater success with more and more high-growth technology companies. You’ll bring a collaborative and data-driven mindset to building out each aspect of our business development function, putting in place processes, playbooks, and systems that add leverage across your organization. This role will report to our COO.
- Own the strategy and execution of business development initiatives that enable us to hit our growth and revenue targets
- Build the business development playbook, defining strategy, process and messaging across all stages of our client lifecycle
- Work with the founders to scale our channel partnerships with venture capital firms
- Recruit, hire, and onboard Business Development Leads, growing a team to 5+ individuals
- Partner with our marketing team to ensure alignment of messaging in all sales enablement content
- Help create a robust business development tool stack through the selection, deployment and effective use of third-party and Candidate Labs-built systems
- Define and report on key metrics and performance indicators, helping put in place dashboards and forecasting that enable proactive planning
- Serve as a key SME and voice of the prospective and current clients on our leadership team, sharing key insights and helping shape strategy
Experience, skills and aptitude we're looking for
- 4+ years of experience managing and leading teams in business development, sales, or professional services
- Experience hiring and scaling your own team to 5+ team members
- Track record of selling into high-growth technology companies at the founder or C-Suite level
- Strong background in highly consultative sales motions, preferably with fast cycles of a few weeks
- Ability to create materials, processes, and implement systems to scale and improve a sales motion
Things that will give you an edge
- You are highly entrepreneurial and nimble, able to work successfully driving a diverse set of projects at once
- You have past experience helping a startup scale, enter a new market, expand geographically, and/or move upmarket
- You are fluent in technology company go-to-market strategies
- You have past experience in business development for professional services
Why Join Candidate Labs?
The Market Opportunity
Other large fragmented markets have been similarly disrupted by a new entrant that effectively combines people, software, and data science. In real estate, Compass has grown to $4B+ in revenue within 8 years, and in insurance, Newfront has quickly become the fastest growing commercial brokerage. We believe empowering recruiters, clients, and the candidates on one platform will carry our industry into the future.
In a world where the typical experience of working with a recruiter can often be described as a "necessary evil," our differentiated approach has quickly led to memorable experiences and standout growth. Since launching in June 2020, we’ve quickly become the #2 recruiting firm on G2 Crowd, have grown 35% month over month to $4+ million in revenue, have a customer base of more than 75 venture-backed companies, a 12-mo LTV over $100k per client, and benefit from a 90% inbound BD pipeline.
We are currently located in the San Francisco Bay Area, New York, Austin, San Diego, Seattle, and Denver and are hiring nationwide and in US-friendly time zones.
Work with experienced founders, seasoned leaders, and exceptional investors at a high-growth startup on the forefront of the recruiting industry
Competitive cash compensation and generous equity in the form of stock grants (as opposed to stock options)100% coverage of medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees
Regular company events (virtual and in-person) including an bi-annual company-wide retreat
Diversity & Inclusion
Candidate Labs is not only committed to building our own diverse and inclusive company, we celebrate individuals of all backgrounds and work to support them in achieving their career ambitions in the broader ecosystem. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all applicants.