Machine Learning Engineer - Central Platform Team (MLOps / MLInfra) - Open to remote across ANZ
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Data – Data /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
The ML Engineers working on the platform team are responsible for delivery of machine learning at scale. Our systems, frameworks and processes are used daily by ML Engineers to train, validate, deploy and monitor online inference services. We are building a platform that follows engineering best-practices and shortens the loop between early exploratory work in notebooks and shipping reliable models to production. Our platform is built using the latest technologies and cloud infrastructure.
We're looking to grow the team to continue to scale the impact of machine learning across Canva.
- Hypothesis-driven development of ML and data-driven features and platforms to support them across Canva.
- Engineering implementation: developing and implementing ML models, features, and custom platforms as well as using third party APIs and pre-trained models when appropriate.
- Design, train, deploy and operate models and platforms that improve the experience of millions of users.
- Investigating and prototyping applications of ML across the Canva product, considering tradeoffs between different approaches and rapidly shipping.
- Running offline and online experiments.
- Improving the scalability, speed and performance of existing models.
- Working alongside data specialists, software engineers and product owners to identify business and growth opportunities.
- Sharing and articulating statistical analysis, modelling, experiment and results to technical and non-technical audiences.
- More than 5 years of Industry experience in the machine learning /software engineering role with a Product/SaaS company.
- Experience building and deploying machine learning models. Strong understanding of end-to-end machine learning pipelines and components.
- Strong Coding proficiency in Python (coding components of interviews will be in Python).
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- SQL and Java experience preferred.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.