Backend Engineer - Machine Learning ML Platform - Open to remote across ANZ
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Engineering – Machine Learning /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
The ML Platform team are responsible for the scalable, safe, and efficient delivery of ML in our products and internal applications. We empower thousands of engineers and PMs to deliver amazing product experiences harnessing the power of industry-leading ML algorithms.
2023 is an incredible time to join the team. We are small but growing rapidly. We serve models that power every user's experience in Canva. The problem space and industry is advancing quickly. You will have direct influence on our ambitious plans to scale AI / ML experiences for over 100 million Canva customers. From simplifying development to building infra supporting the training and deployment of larger and more powerful models, you'll find no shortage of energy and opportunities for impact on the ML Platform team.
We are looking for engineers with a strong background in data-intensive distributed systems, and who thrive in fast-paced high-energy environments, to help us build the future of ML at Canva.
- Automating and standardizing key components of ML workflows (such as infrastructure provisioning, data loading, checkpointing, deployments) and the full ML life cycle, to accelerate the work of other ML engineers.
- Building new platform layers to support data labeling, training and serving at scale.
- Building systems to support training and deploying large models like Reinforcement Learning and Foundational design models.
- Working alongside embedded ML and software engineers, incorporating feedback to improve the platform user experience.
- More than 5 years of Industry experience building and deploying distributed, data intensive systems with a Product/SaaS company, preferably using Kubernetes, preferably on AWS.
- Strong Coding proficiency in Python, Java (or any Object-Oriented language).
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Familiarity with ML fundamentals.
- ML ecosystem: numpy, pytorch, huggingface, CUDA, Ray.
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem: ECS, EKS, ECR, Kinesis.
- Experience orchestrating multi-node, multi-GPU training of pytorch models on a Kubernetes cluster.
- Experience in designing, deploying, optimizing and monitoring systems for ML inference.
Nice to have:
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.