Senior Backend Software Engineer - Edge (Open to Remote across ANZ)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Engineering – Backend /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
About the Team
You'll be joining the Edge team, a sub-team of the broader Product Platform Group. We are the front line of our web services, owning Canva's Cloudflare layer - every request that hits Canva goes through this layer. We play a critical role in keeping Canva secure and reliable for all users, as well as enabling engineers who work on the Edge platform to be efficient and productive.
Working in Edge team, you will develop key expertise in Canva's Cloudflare layer, which is responsible for all incoming traffic to Canva.com
You will develop expertise in developing Cloudflare worker logic which is responsible for routing traffic to Canva's front-end gateways
You will develop expertise in CDN, DNS, security, scalability, and resilience of Canva's Edge platform.
This role is remote-friendly across Australia and New Zealand - you don't have to live in Sydney to make a huge impact at Canva.
What you’ll do
- Provide technical leadership through code reviews, and creating/ reviewing design documents
- Design and implement tooling for managing Canva’s edge setup - domains, certificates, WAF rules and more - in a secure manner
- Identify best-of-breed approaches to protect our users and Canva's infrastructure and systems.
- Drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment across the company, group, and teams.
- Embed best practices into our development processes, helping improve processes through retrospectives
- Collaborate with engineers and PMs across the business to shape our edge capabilities
What we're looking for
- Experience in the following areas: DNS, Firewall, Security, Load Balancing, CDN (e.g. Cloudflare, CloudFront, Akamai, Fastly),
- Knowledge of the Cloudflare developer platform, and developing and managing Cloudflare workers is desirable.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Experience working with AWS.
- Exceptional communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Proven success in software engineering companies would be a huge plus
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.