Design – Product Design
Product design at Canva
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
Top 5 reasons why our designers love working here
Their input matters
Working at Canva as a product designer means you get to have a real impact on a product that affects millions of peoples’ lives. Our designers take full ownership of their work and are responsible for every last detail, every step of the way. Working with a small, close-knit team, each designer has real influence over the product, our culture, and our company.
They work on a product that genuinely helps people
Canva has a tremendously active audience, who in the last month alone created 50 million designs. We are inspired by the stories of our customers—from people starting their first business at a local craft market, to marketing teams at some of the world’s largest publications, or one of the 19,000 charities who we support via our not-for-profit program. This huge, diverse audience means that our designers can affect the world in a very powerful way. Head to our twitter or facebook or our hashtags #CanvaLove #MyDesignstory to see the stories for yourself.
They see their designs gets shipped—constantly
Our design processes are about constant iteration; inventing and improving everything. By the time our designers have passed a feature onto an engineer and it’s shipped, they’ve often already planned the next version. We have ambitious goals and every time we hit them we push past their boundaries—we ship quality, quickly.
We are a design-led and user centric company
Canva’s entire mission revolves around design, and the design of the product is central to the philosophies of the company and its founders—who are also designers. Our users come first: we follow a user-centered design process where we respect and understand their real motivations, behaviors and goals. Our customers lead the way while our teams focus on aligning our vision with what they are telling us, letting their needs guide us to the best solutions.
They work with some of the best people
We pride ourselves on the diversity of our team. You’ll get the opportunity to collaborate with designers, engineers, and product managers from all over the world, delivering a product that’s disrupting the world of visual communication. We have an open and inclusive culture and know that epic ideas can come from anyone, anywhere.
You'll love this job if ...
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver thats excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there’s constantly new things to work on everyday, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
What you'll learn at Canva
- How to think beyond mockups and prototypes—applying novel approaches and design thinking to the entire product development cycle.
- How to think creatively and collaboratively into the future. We are passionate, inspired, motivated individuals who are excited by big vision projects that give us all the opportunity to think like a CEO—constantly pushing ourselves.
- How to push your creativity and passion to the limit. How to solve problems that have never been solved before.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been the ranked #1 Australian Workplace in Technology by JobAdvisor for the second year in a row. We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
** Please send across your portfolio / examples of your work when applying