Product Designer - Internal Tools (Infrastructure)
Sydney or Remote (Aus/NZ) /
Design – Product Design /
We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Infrastructure Team:
The Infrastructure group’s mission is simple, yet powerful: to make complex technology simple for Canvanauts by building reliable foundational products that will seamlessly propel Canva to the next level of growth. We maintain a full suite of products and tools that accelerate Canvanaut engineers in their quest to deliver their crazy big goals. These offerings cover the entire software development and operational lifecycle, and the data infrastructure that powers our insights, analytics and experimentation capabilities.
As Canva continues its rapid growth, we are looking to lift the bar even higher on the quality of the internal tools and platform that we offer to Canvanauts, across the software development and data infrastructure capabilities that we own. We want to ensure that our products are as easy to adopt and maintain, while meeting all of our obligations around security, compliance and reliability.
Goals you'll achieve
- You’ll conduct a UX audit of all existing Infrastructure product offerings & develop a plan to harmonize existing product offerings In line with Canva’s Design System
- You’ll develop a coherent design strategy for Infrastructure products and tooling, that aligns to Canva’s wide business strategy and complements the Infrastructure product strategy
- You’ll shape and lead Infrastructure's product design team
What you’ll do
- You'll lead Product Design projects for Infrastructure, setting and maintaining the bar for high-quality internal products and tools
- You'll develop and maintain the design strategy for the Infrastructure group
- You'll manage the transition of Infrastructure’s existing UI surfaces to the Canva design system
- As the foundational Canvanaut designer in the Infrastructure group, you’ll build the design team that will support Infrastructure’s product offerings
- You'll collaborate with Product Managers and Engineering Leads to make sure you’re prioritizing the most important features
- You’ll start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution
- As a product designer on the team you will carry out: research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products.
- You’ll visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users (who will be Canvanauts)
- You’ll rapidly iterate through different design solutions; bucking convention in favour of progressive ideas.
- You’ll partner with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You’ll solve complex problems and whiteboard ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are able to understand the different trade-offs and align design solutions to Canva business goals. Activities include: writing well-balanced Strat docs; providing different design options to show trade-offs; creating hypothesis and experiments
Experience you'll have
- 5+ years of experience as a Product Designer, with experience leading shipping complex products/features for digital products.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking
- You have strong engineering literacy and love working with engineers and solving complex technical problems.
- You are a lead designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.