Senior DevOps Engineer (GCP, Terraform, Golang / Python)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Engineering – Infrastructure /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
About the Group:
The Cloud Platform Group owns Canva’s cloud infrastructure, which ensures the safe, secure and reliable operation of canva.com. We also provide key support for critical internal workflows. Our mission is “To reduce the complexity burden of using the Cloud”, which we achieve through a combination of the tooling and services we provide, our robust standards, comprehensive developer documentation library and a team of experts who love a good challenge.
Cloud Platform engineers appreciate how strong continuous integration (CI) and continuous development (CD) tooling uplifts the entire developer experience. Our platforms support engineers across the company to provision and configure Cloud resources, as well as to manage release, runtime and operational workflows. We do all this in the simplest and most secure way possible. What we create will free engineers from having to worry about what goes on under the hood, allowing them to produce their best work. We are the stewards of a seamless, scalable ecosystem that’s extensible, easy to use, and backed by uncompromising security.
About the Team:
Cloud Essentials team’s primary mission is to provide easy ways to provision, configure and manage fundamental infrastructure components in the Cloud for all engineering teams at Canva. In order to fulfil this mission, we are not only following Software engineering best practices and Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) methodologies, but also designing, maintaining and implementing supportive automations and Cloud architectures.
Therefore, we expect Cloud Essentials team members to possess a spectrum of skills from general computer science skills, Cloud solution architectures, IaC tooling to high-level programming languages.
This specific role is tailored around designing, developing and maintaining fundamental infrastructure components within the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) based on the best practices described in the "Google Cloud Architecture Framework". This includes designing and implementing automations around
- GCP Organization structure
- GCP project creation / deletion
- Access control (IAM) for GCP Org
by expanding existing provisioning / baselining services as well as Infrastructure-as-Code modules.
What you’ll do (responsibilities):
- Design, implement and maintain processes and automations for Canva’s engineering teams to simplify the provisioning and configuration of their workloads in the Cloud and other platforms
- Be an SMEs in Infrastructure-as-Code (specifically, in Terraform and GCP)
- Develop infrastructure solutions with scalability, high-availability, and security in mind
- Collaborate with other teams to work out the best solutions to their cloud problems
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Propose and contribute to new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva's distributed cloud infrastructure as we continue scaling globally
What we're looking for:
- Advanced coding proficiency in either Python or Golang (both preferred)
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience in designing, maintaining, automating Cloud Infrastructure in GCP (preferred), AWS and/or Azure
- Experience working with infrastructure as code - Terraform (preferred), AWS CloudFormation / SAM / CDK, or similar
- Strong Computer Science background and knowledge of OOP fundamentals
- An understanding of cloud security best practices
- Working knowledge of DevOps best practices, Microservices, Kubernetes, Container Orchestration, Serverless
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - both technical and plain language
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.