Senior Full-Stack Engineer - Internal Applications (Open to remote across ANZ)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Engineering – Internal Applications /
Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the group/team
This role sits within our Internal Applications team, which creates bespoke internal products such as a people directory, translation bot and URL shortener to help us operate efficiently as we rapidly scale our headcount. These products are tailored to Canva’s needs and help us maintain our culture.
We are looking for a Fullstack Software Engineer with a Frontend focus to contribute to a versatile team to ensure the continued success of our internal apps.
What you'll do (Responsibilities)
- Work with a product designer, product manager and fellow engineers to build web applications with a focus on an outstanding client-side experience
- Build efficient, performant and reusable frontend abstractions and systems
- Lead frontend development within the team, including training and mentoring others
- While this is a frontend-focused role, the majority of our backend is Python based which you’ll also work on to build out APIs, integrations and infrastructure
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Communicate and collaborate with other team members to resolve the best solutions to difficult problems
- Facilitate teamwork and efficiently advocate for engineering needs to non-technical team members
- Models initiative and ownership in achieving goals, improving processes and solutions
- Help to identify and communicate standard practices and methodologies for frontend engineering
What we're looking for (Requirements)
- Experience with React and state management with libraries such as MobX
- Experience with backend development using languages such as Python and frameworks such as Flask
- Proven track record developing rich web applications
- Up-to-date knowledge of browser, HTML and CSS standards to support cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture and design patterns
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with experience discussing technical issues and solutions, engaging with team members and conducting code reviews
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.