Senior Software Engineer - Media Platform (Video/Audio Specialist) - Remote anywhere in Australia or New Zealand
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia /
Engineering – Backend /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
The Media Platform groups crafts services to empower users designing with every ingredient, on every device, whenever they design. In the Audio/Video team you will build services to ingest, process or deliver video for millions of daily users. Your day to day activities will consist of solution design and hands-on software development – working closely with colleagues to deliver functionality to our customers all over the world.
What you’ll do
- Help bring engineering clarity to improve the performance and reliability
- Maintain and build out new features for our audio service, video service
- Ensure scalability and reliability for some of Canva's Tier 1 high traffic services
Your profile should demonstrate
- Experience of building large scale and distributed video ingestion, storage, processing and delivery solutions
- In depth knowledge of at least one of the modern video codec such as H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP9 or AV1
- Proven experience of optimizing video playback experience using adaptive bitrate streaming technologies such as DASH, HLS or CMAF
- Proven experience of tuning video encoding parameters to optimize video storage, delivery and video quality assessment
- Hands-on experience of using and enhancing multimedia frameworks such as FFmpeg, GStreamer or similar to implement video related use cases
- Strong understanding of content DRM and forensic watermarking
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.