UX Researcher - Ecosystem
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia /
Design – Research /
Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the UX Research team
At Canva, our users are at the heart of everything we do. Our UX Research team is relatively new, but plays a vital role in the vision and success of our company. One of the best things about Canva is how much everyone across the business cares about users and improving their experience - you’ll never have to sell anyone on the value of research.
Our team conducts qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions, product strategies, and identify opportunities. We believe that research findings are most powerful when they’re out of reports, and actively being applied and used by product teams. Researchers partner with PMs, designers, engineers, and marketers to help them better understand Canva’s diverse user base, solve complex challenges, and improve the product experience for millions of users worldwide.
Our research team is close-knit, collaborative, and supportive. We each bring unique strengths and interests to the group, and encourage each other to grow in our craft every day.
About the group you’ll be joining
The Ecosystem group is on a mission to empower 3rd party developers to create an abundance of apps and integrations that supercharge Canva’s ability to meet the diverse needs of our one billion users and drive Canva’s MAU growth.
We want to ensure Canva becomes the leading platform for teams and SaaS products to process visual design and communication. We envision in 2026, the Canva Ecosystem will make us the most pluggable platform in the world, enabling us to simplify design creation, boost team collaboration and optimise enterprise workflows in Canva.
Our strategy anchors on three product pillars:
- Apps in Canva - Enabling innovation and optimisation in design creation by bringing other apps and services into Canva
- Scaled Connections - Enabling Canva to work seamlessly with other SaaS apps in end to end user workflows
- Canva in Apps - Thoughtfully bringing Canva created content to where our users are
What you’ll achieve during your first 6 months:
- Lead high priority, wide-ranging research projects for the Ecosystem group to develop an in-depth understanding of our 3rd Party Developers and App customers needs.
- Apply a mix of qualitative (e.g., interviews, diary studies) and quantitative (e.g., surveys, insights from product data) methods to analyze user or product data and distill this into written and visual reports.
- Build relationships and closely collaborate with your project stakeholders, and across the Supergroup
- Participate and contribute to our UX Research sub-specialty: join in on team meetings, share your expertise and opinions, provide feedback to fellow researchers
- Provide consultative guidance to PMs and Designers to conducting their own research within the Ecosystem group (e.g. office hours)
- Be a champion for our users, and product experience: share your insights publicly across the company and inspire change that needs to be made to improve the Canva user experience.
- Be a role model for the quality of research work we strive for at Canva
- The ideal candidate is a qualitative researcher with 4+ years of experience leading research studies: planning, recruiting, executing, analyzing, and activating. We expect to hear examples of how your research influenced product and design team decision-making.
- You have a solid understanding of primary research methodologies such as interviews, diary studies, participatory design, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and know when these are best used. Additionally, you combine these with data sources like product data, experiments, support tickets to understand user needs holistically.
- You can apply research methods practically and creatively, adjusting your approach based on constraints and context.
- You have strong skills and confidence in communicating about, and advocating for, user research with senior stakeholders and leadership.
- You thrive in a fast-paced work environment that requires strong problem-solving skills and autonomy.
- You have the ability to flex research plans depending on team needs, understanding and clearly communicating trade-offs.
- You have experience closely collaborating with product teams (PM, Design, Engineering, Marketing, and more). You enjoy collaborating with stakeholders throughout projects, and consider bringing them along the journey to be an essential part of the process.
- You have experience mentoring and helping designers and PMs become better researchers. For example, providing feedback on research plans, interview technique, or final reports.
- You have strong communication and facilitation skills. Whether it’s during a workshop, presentation, or even a Slack message - you have an innate ability to rally a team together and inspire change.
- You always keep your ear to the ground for relevant insights happening across the organization, understanding the implications and opportunities, and bringing it back to your team.
You may also have
- Previous knowledge or experience conducting research in the development of APIs, Ecosystems and developer experiences.
- A degree in Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, Social Science or a related field
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home)
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.