Lead Frontend Engineer - Print Group
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Engineering – Frontend /
Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Print Group:
At Canva Print, we bring Canva designs into the real world. We’re a crucial part of the Canva user experience with "Publish Anywhere" as our core mission pillar. Print is already a multi-million dollar department within Canva, and offers an incredible opportunity to work at global scale, whilst still early enough to address data model complexity with a very passionate team of multi-functional specialists. Print is a pivotal part of Canva’s overall success, and revenue. We’re on a mission to scale up rapidly with your help.
The Canva Print vision is to have a global Marketplace that enables all Canva users to Design and Print anything, anywhere. Practically anything, anywhere. Our ambition is thousands of products starting with Mugs, Posters, business-cards, menus, that, over time, will include whatever you can envision, from 3D printing of architectural models or large-scale billboards, or an haute couture fashion line. Print is accessible no matter where you are... with an excellent focus on ethical and environmentally-friendly practices, such as the one print one tree initiative.
Within Canva today, Canva Print is made up of 70+ people spread between Australia, the Philippines, and the United States. The engineering team is 35+ predominantly based in Sydney and Melbourne, and growing rapidly. The group has an emphasis on large scale system design as we build out a global print network. This is an emerging area within Canva that presents the opportunity for an engineer to work with the team to build out the exciting intersection of global scale, data model complexity, and brand-new user facing features. With sustainability at our heart, join us as we delight our customers, and meaningfully add to Canva’s overall success.
What you'll be doing:
- Building tools and frameworks that help us rapidly and reliably conduct experiments across different parts of the Canva app
- Design, develop and deploy solutions and hands-on software development – working closely with leads, designers, and product managers to deliver new features to our users
- Collaborate and coordinate with leads, product managers, and engineers across teams at Canva to unblock front-end works that help your group deliver features and experiments to our customers worldwide
- Communicate efficiently with Product Managers and Engineers across Canva when developing a solution; seeks and incorporates varied perspectives to address sophisticated issues
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and advocate for engineering needs to non-technical partners within the group
- Models initiative and ownership in achieving goals, improving processes and solutions
- Sees opportunities for cross-team collaboration to work on new ideas and improvements that help achieve our goals
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Collaborating with team members and communicating efficiently
- Experience with TypeScript (or other typed languages), React, MobX (or other state management libraries)
- Ability to write performant, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Good writing and verbal communication
Nice to have:
- Experience and knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Experience developing Java backend
- Experience developing ecommerce or online retail flows
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.