Machine Learning Engineer
Engineering – Data Engineering
At Canva, our mission is to democratize design and empower creativity and visual expression for every person, on every platform. Since launch in April 2013, our user base has grown exponentially, amassing over 15 million users in over 100 languages, making us one of the world's fastest-growing technology companies. As of today, we've achieved profitability, and the company is valued at USD $2.5 billion, which comfortably prepares us for the next phase of growth and product development.
The mission of this role is to use machine learning to improve the Canva experience within the Search Team. Utilizing rapid experimentation cycles and building a fast experiment pipeline, we can test and action things faster. By analysing the data we collect, and employing machine learning techniques appropriately, we are able to provide stronger search results to our users, build new features, and ultimately maximise customer happiness.
- Work alongside data specialists, software engineers, product owners - to identify business and growth opportunities
- Designing and creating new data pipelines from scratch, all the way to deployment to our millions of users
- Participate in exciting research in machine learning applications across the Canva product suite
- Improve scalability, speed and performance of existing models
- Contribute to the full life cycle of ML models – data analysis, modeling, tuning & productization
- Conceptual modelling: to be able to share and articulate modelling
- Statistical analysis: to understand and work around possible limitations in models
- Predictive modelling: most of the big data problems are towards being able to predict future outcomes
- Hypothesis testing: being able to develop hypothesis and test them with careful experiments
- Two (2) years or more of commercial experience in the machine learning / data science domain
- Extensive programming skills and commercial exprience preferably in different programming languages such as Java, Scala, or Python
- Familiarity with big data tools - Apache Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce, etc.
- Strong research skills - the ability to dig through deep learning literature and understand strong mathematical constructs
- At minimum, a bachelors degree in Computer Engineering / Science or Mathematics; ideally a masters or Ph.D in either of those disciplines
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Onsite Gym; Yoga Benefits
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals that legally qualify for visa sponsorship
Want to experience Canva for yourself?
Check out what life is like at Canva on Instagram.
Check out what our users are saying about us on Twitter.
Learn how we work from Dave, our CTO
Get to know our Chef, Chris
Meet our CEO, Melanie
Finally, give Canva a go!
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.