Senior Frontend Software Engineer - Marketplace Discovery (Remote in Australia or New Zealand)
Wellington, New Zealand /
Engineering – Frontend /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but in Aotearoa, we have a hub in Auckland that we call home to our local operations. And with that, you have choice in how and where you work. That means if you want to do your thing at our Auckland hub (if you're nearby) or at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
The Marketplace Discovery engineering team create the core Marketplace experience, built features that help users quickly and efficiently find what they need. As we grow we're evolving Marketplace features for new modes of discovery and interaction.
As an Engineering group we take pride in our focus on engineering fundamentals, striving to use the most appropriate tools for the tasks at hand, and to strike a measured balance between getting things done and long term maintainability. We share knowledge and new ideas through regular group-wide Show and Tells, Speciality Frontend Forums and smaller team sessions with colleagues.
Our focus on fundamentals ensures our frontend code base is consistently being improved and optimised so new features can be implemented easily. When a new feature is being built, engineers review each other’s code; this ensures that knowledge is shared and it doesn’t need to be reworked. You can find more about our engineering practices in this blog article.
- Collaborate with product designers to build next-generation web applications with a focus on an extraordinary user experience
- Build efficient and reusable front end abstractions and systems
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Communicate with other team members to craft the best solutions to difficult problems
- Help to identify and communicate standard practices and methodologies for front end engineering
- Interact with our backend systems
Your application should demonstrate
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS for millions of users
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Computer science fundamentals
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.