Senior Digital Designer (UI/UX)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Design – Digital Design /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
As the digital designer, you will have a unique opportunity to work with brand, motion, and product design, data and engineers to craft a completely new developer experience, defining the core story to inspire our developer community, and enabling them to discover, explore, and ultimately build with our powerful API tools. You’ll tap into your craft to make complex concepts simple and visually communicate them in a usable and effective way. You’ll take developers on the most optimal user journey into the world of our Canva APIs. You’ll work with the brand team to help evolve the Canva Developer Brand to excite our developers to be a part of the community.
Discovery - Contribute to the discovery phase with user stories, research, competitor analysis, wireframes, user flows etc.. and help define the problem and solutions.
Definition - Translate insights, data and user research into prototypes to validate ideas with stakeholders and end users.
Visual design - Design creative and on-brand visual solutions such as emails, banners, graphics, UI, motion & interactive designs, landing pages and websites that drive users to the product and inspire them to create a design.
Implementation -Work closely with engineers during implementation and review final deliverables with an exacting eye, ensuring that layout, images, typography and general experience is flawless and on-brand.
Iteration - Iterate and optimise pages and user flows for conversion.
Design at scale - keeping in mind internationalisation, CMS integration, accessibility, design system, mobile design and various technical constraints and opportunities.
Check out some of the amazing works of our Digital Design team below 👇
Goals that you'll achieve:
- Onboard onto the Ecosystem team -becoming comfortable within your role and becoming familiar with the mission, goals, and structure. Get to know the people you will be working with, defining how to collaborate and partner to achieve the group’s targets.
- Audit the current offline App Marketplace Experience - Collaborate closely with the App experience team to understand the current experience and challenges within the space and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Produce a range of digital assets including landing pages, new concepts, prototypes, graphics and animations for our website, and events.
- Revamp Offline App Marketplace Experience - Collaborate closely with our App Experience team and design researcher to revamp the logged-out app marketplace, defining our target audience, purpose and metrics.
- Immerse yourself in the Developer Discovery experience - Understand who our audience is, helping to define the vision for future success within this space.
- Maintain and evolve Canva's Developer brand and how it is communicated through the user experience - Explore different ways to communicate this complex new product in a simple way visually. You'll collaborate with other design specialties to execute these concepts.
The skills & experience that we are looking for
- You are a designer who is naturally curious and passionate about design with a keen awareness of the evolving landscape of available tools, technologies, resources and trends. You are a master of your craft and love to bring projects to life. You are comfortable working in a high pace and iterative environment inside a cross functional team and can navigate from chaos to clarity. Highly collaborative, you are able to bring people with you on the design journey, proposing creative solutions informed by data and research while addressing business goals and strategies.
- You have a portfolio that demonstrates experience in designing landing pages, a strong understanding in user behavior and how to drive conversion.
- You work iteratively and have experience with conversion optimization, A/B testing, User testing and using data to inform design decisions.
- You are comfortable with the various acquisition channels (SEO, SEM, Social etc..) and are able to provide holistic, consistent and performant solutions.
- You shine through your designs, creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user experience.
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You have some motion design experience in the past, with the ability to tell a story - be it prototyping or vector animation
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
- Comfortable with chaos. You can find solutions even without perfect precedents or direction, and map out a path to clarity and execution. You can work out ways to achieve the impossible and ride through change like a boss.
About the the Ecosystem group you'll be joining
The Ecosystem group is on a mission to empower 3rd party developers to create an abundance of Apps that supercharge Canva’s ability to meet the diverse needs of our one billion users and drive Canva’s MAU growth.
We are building a flexible Canva API that enables Developers to contribute to and define new interactions in Canva, including interactive edits and widgets through to designing with data. We envision that Apps will be able to simplify design creation, boost team collaboration and optimise enterprise workflows in Canva.
We want to unlock the creativity of developers and empower them to build valuable apps and integrations for our Canva customers on our platform. Building a thriving developer community is a fundamental pillar of our strategic goal to achievean abundant app ecosystem and developer communityworking together to tailor Canva for 1 billion delighted users. This allows Canva to meet untapped user needs beyond our core editing experience whilst helping us connect to key integrations and tools, so customers have everything they need within the Canva platform.
Check this out 👇
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.