Team Engineering Lead - Native Core (iOS and android) - AU Remote
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia /
Engineering – Leadership /
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
Lead the team who owns Canva's native mobile apps and ultimately responsible for about half of Canva's 110 million monthly active users!
We are looking to hire a technical leader who is not just close to the code but also motivated to build an exceptional team and evolve the native apps to meet future needs. Be in the thick of it - working across technical design, roadmap definition, code architecture, engagement with key stakeholders across the business, and professional growth and development of the people you lead. Working on a key part of Canva, you will help the Canva product stay performant and reliable at scale.
What you'll do
- You will be directly responsible for 4-8 mobile engineers and developing their skills and career through effective coaching and mentoring
- Provide technical leadership through code reviews, creating and reviewing design documents as well as owning the team's technical roadmap
- Drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment across the company, group, and teams.
- Embed best practices into our development processes, helping improve processes through retrospectives
- Collaborate with engineers and PMs across Canva to shape our mobile capabilities
- You are experienced in technical people leadership, making sound decisions and delivering outcomes on technical projects
- You have outstanding problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills, both written and verbal. You'll know when to push back thoughtfully to ensure the team are working on the most high impact activites.
- You are firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- You'll have proven experience in the following areas: Native app development (Android or iOS is fine, both would be awesome), CD/CI, App Store and Google Play releases.
- It would be great if you had Cross Platform app development experience, but not essential
About the team
Canva is used by millions of people every single day, and more than half of them do it though mobile apps.
The Native Core Team is responsible for maintaining the Android and iOS apps. We play a critical role in keeping Canva performant and reliable for our mobile users, as well as enabling all Canva engineers to deliver features to our native apps efficiently.
Join the team as we continue to scale our user base and worksuite offering.
This role is remote-friendly across Australia and New Zealand - you don't have to live in Sydney to make a huge impact at Canva. Apply now to be considered!
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.