Senior Frontend Growth Engineer
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia /
Engineering – Frontend /
Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 86 million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
The role sits within the content and discovery supergroup, and looks after 2 main engineering areas: traffic growth optimization and supporting the growth of content across many markets. This includes building data systems for monitoring all our 60M+ logged out pages, running optimisation experiments, building state of the art server side rendering to make our pages much faster and also building machine learning and data system platforms for understanding trends on the internet.
The role and the team
- Running experiments and optimizing Canva's 60M+ logged out pages, across the company.
- Exposure to lots of different teams and product surfaces. Interesting product work. Metrics based and trackable, with visible success.
- Work with product teams across the company to optimize their logged-out pages.
- Global Navigation ownership.
- Working to launch Canva in more international markets, bringing our content to even more countries and languages.
- Also launch new pages such as:
- New product pages, e.g.www.canva.com/business-cards/
- New category pages e.g. www.canva.com/business-cards/templates/
- Building tools and frameworks that help us rapidly and reliably conduct experiments across different parts of the Canva app
- Design, develop and deploy solutions and hands-on software development – working closely with leads, designers, and product managers to deliver features and experiments to our customers worldwide
- Work collaboratively and consult with leads, product managers, and engineers across teams at Canva to unblock back-end work that helps your group deliver features and experiments to our customers worldwide
- Communicate effectively with Product Managers and Engineers across Canva when developing a solution; seek and incorporate diverse perspectives to address complex issues
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and effectively advocate for engineering needs to non-technical stakeholders within the group
- Model initiative and ownership in achieving goals, improve processes and solutions
- Identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration to work on new ideas and improvements that help achieve our goals
Required skills and experience
- Commercial experience developing complex web applications
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Experience building UX for specialists and an eye for design.
- Working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively
- Good writing and verbal communication skills
Nice to have
- Experience with TypeScript, React and MobX.
- This role has the ability to be Full Stack, moving between frontend and backend requirements whilst leading our frontend technology stack and approach.
- Experience with growth engineering in the past.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home)
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.