Director of People Operations
San Francisco, CA
We’re very different from most technology companies you’ll run across, and we hope that excites you. Canvas is a Series A funded startup that is bringing automation to the construction industry. We are a small but growing team that has created an exciting new class of machine that transforms tradework in the built environment. We’ve spent the past two years engineering and developing our tool and are now deploying on commercial job sites.
Based in San Francisco, we are looking for a talented Director of People Operations to build out the workforce that will bring this new class of machines into the world. Our mission is to leverage technology to empower current trade workers to be dramatically more productive and free from repetitive, physically taxing, and dangerous tasks. We are looking for someone who is passionate about talent management and is excited by the opportunity to build brighter futures for the next generation of workers. You will be expected to build a scalable human resources infrastructure that supports the growth of a multidisciplinary team spanning engineering, construction, operations and business and enables all parts of the company to work fluidly together. We believe deeply in empowering workers and will be looking for someone who prides themselves in creating environments that encourage development for their people. The right person will have previous experience rapidly growing a company at a venture backed startup and is ready to help us scale.
If this sounds like you we are excited to meet you. Join us in reshaping the construction industry.
- Build out the people operations and talent management side of the company from the ground up
- Hire and lead a small team responsible for managing the employee experience throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Develop and deploy initiatives to drive employee engagement, culture, and a strong sense of team across the company.
- Design and implement scalable, high quality operational HR programs, processes, and systems that span a multidisciplinary workforce that includes both technology workers and a union construction workforce.
- Work with the executive team to develop a holistic system for training and development.
- Create and deploy guidelines and best practices for employee relations including communication, accountability, conflict management, and performance management.
- Maintain and grow our performance management and compensation system designed specifically to reduce bias and give a clear advancement path for our employees.
- Develop and analyze metrics for effectiveness of HR and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives and update senior leadership and the company on progress against goals.
- Ensure People Operations audit and control processes are developed and followed in compliance with local data privacy laws, US wage and hour laws, SOC II, GDPR, local country regulations, and internal policies and procedures.
- 5+ years experience as a senior HR professional or talent management role
- Experience in a similar role at a high-growth tech company or consulting/professional services organization
- Experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work
- Ability to work in a dynamic, hyper-growth environment
- Comfortable navigating ambiguity and adapting to shifting priorities while still driving impactful results
- Communicate with high emotional intelligence to a diverse population
- Familiar with human resources productivity tools
- BA or BS degree.
- PHR or SHRM-SCPBA is a plus