San Francisco, CA /
Product & Engineering /
At Canvas we are developing technology that improves the quality and affordability of the places where we work and live while improving the working conditions of the people who build these spaces. Our mission is to empower people to build in bold new ways and our team has spent the past two years engineering and developing a brand new type of machine we are now deploying on commercial job sites.
As a Fabrication Technician, you are inspired by the challenge of creating new automation tools for the construction industry. You will be responsible for fabricating new components and subsystems and will work closely with Mechanical Engineers to understand their needs. This is a great role for someone who is detail-oriented and likes solving complex problems. This role will build small manufacturing runs, prototypes, and test equipment.
In this role you will work with multiple disciplines to create the most advanced robotic system for the construction worker. We’re a series B funded small team with a great first platform which we are refining and expanding to advance its capabilities. You’ll play a significant role in shaping the future of our product, culture, and engineering team. Join us in creating new tools to reshape the construction industry.
What You'll Do
- Read and interpret technical drawings and GD&T
- Weld, machine, bend, and use a variety of hand tools to fabricate parts to spec
- Measure and test completed components to meet quality and functional requirements
- Set up, operate, and maintain shop tools and equipment in a safe manner, using appropriate PPE
- Work with Mechanical Engineers to identify improvements to manufacturability
- Identify and report hazards or defects in the shop or with equipment
- Use time and material resources responsibly to meet budgetary requirements and tight deadlines
- Maintain a clean shared workspace and tools
- Maintain shop inventory of consumables, hardware, and material
- Communicate effectively with a variety of internal team, vendors, and suppliers
- Follow OSHA safety guidelines
Who You Are
- 3 years experience
- Fabrication knowledge using various techniques such as welding, drilling, grinding, sawing, bending and sheet metal tools
- Welding experience with MIG & TIG of mild steel
- Mill and lathe experience
- Ability to do basic wiring
- Ability to work collaboratively with and communicate with a variety of teams
- Excellent attention to detail
- A constant desire to learn
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods
- Fork lift cert a plus
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure
What You'll Get
- Autonomy and support to grow into your career at a growing startup.
- Excellent benefits, including fully covered medical, vision, and dental
- The ability to work in a sweet office in SF with some pretty cool robots
- And of course the opportunity to work with some of the coolest people working on those robots in the Bay Area!
Canvas is an Equal Opportunity Employer - we do not discriminate in hiring, promotions, or any other way on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.