Director of Finance
San Francisco, CA /
Canvas Medical is the electronic medical records (EMR) and payments development platform for healthcare. We build modern, elegant front- and back-end tooling to enable new ways for developers and clinicians to collaborate to solve healthcare’s toughest challenges. Canvas is institutionally backed by some of the greatest technology investors in the world (funded notable health tech companies such as GoodRx, Oscar Health, and Hims & Hers Health).
We are looking for an experienced, skilled and motivated finance professional to join our growing team! As Director of Finance, you will be part of the G&A team, working cross-functionally with leaders across our company to develop and execute strategic business objectives. In this hands-on role, you will be responsible for finance and accounting operations of the organization. Working across multiple projects, you will serve as the financial expert and thought partner to our leadership team, supporting business functions to ensure near and long-term financial goals are met, and driving financial visibility and accountability through data and analysis
What you'll be doing:
- Drive strategy for the company through a financial lens, working cross-functionally within our team to monitor the financial health of the business as well as identify, scope and lead growth opportunities and initiatives
- Improve and maintain the company’s operating model
- Own the FP&A process, including budgeting, forecasting, resource allocation, and monthly variance analysis in partnership with functional leaders
- Serve as the go-to finance thought partner for business leaders
- Create, implement and oversee annual and quarterly goals
- Lead the preparation for quarterly Board materials and monthly updates
- Improve and implement financial systems, processes and controls across the organization
- Own the relationship with our external accounting partner and support other financial, accounting, compliance, and regulatory tasks as needed
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of finance experience in a startup environment (fintech, health tech, or enterprise SaaS preferred) as well as in investment banking, private equity, or consulting
- Experience working in FP&A and/or a strategic senior finance role
- Strong analytical, financial modeling and presentation skills, as well as experience preparing and presenting information to key decision makers
- Demonstrated experience thinking strategically about complex business problems, uncovering data-driven insights and creating actionable recommendations
- Deep understanding of GAAP accounting and experience working with external accounting teams
- Collaborative working style with demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Detail-obsessed, comfortable rolling up sleeves and developing an understanding of operations and the numbers around them
- Attention to detail and the ability to work proficiently, executing multiple tasks timely under significant time constraints
- Growth mindset and the ability to work strategically in a changing environment
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and Google Sheets
- Experience with Bill.com, Quickbooks online, and Carta are a plus
Location - This is a remote position that can be performed in any any of the 4 main US time zones, with preferred locations being: SF, NYC, PHL, ATX, and ATL.
Compensation: The annual base salary for this position is in the range of $150,000 - $185,000 for employees based in San Francisco or New York. This position also is eligible for benefits and our Employee Stock Ownership Plan. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience and geographic location.
We are a fully remote, distributed team. We encourage people to do their work when and where they perform at their best. Because of this structure, strong written communication skills, time management skills, and personal accountability are very important to us.
Employee benefits offered:
- Competitive Salary and Equity Package
- Health Insurance
- Home Office Stipend
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Flexible/unlimited PTO
- Paid Sabbatical after 4 years of employment
Canvas Medical provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.