Head of Legal & Compliance
Legal & Compliance /
Capchase is the growth partner for ambitious software-as-a service (SaaS) companies. Our mission is to help founders grow their businesses faster through non-dilutive capital, market insights and community support. To carry out this mission, we've received $700M+ in funding from some of the best VCs in the space like 01A Advisors (BrightHire, Master Class), Bling Capital (Airtable, Gitlab, Lyft, Square), SciFI (Stripe, Brex), Caffeinated (OpenDoor, Airtable) and QED (Nubank, Klarna).
In a little over three years, we’ve provided billions in funding to thousands of companies, expanded operations to ten countries in the US and Europe, and grown our team from four co-founders in May 2020 to 120 Capchasers today.
Since our launch in 2020, we’ve achieved several milestones:
➡ 3K+ companies registered
🏃 5,000 plus months additional runway generated
🙌 Over 120 Capchasers working across 14 cities around the world representing over 20 nationalities
🌎 10 countries in which we operate
📈 250% annual company growth
👫 Built an awesome culture.�
We are looking for an experienced, creative leader to oversee and build out Capchase's legal and compliance functions.
- Successfully set regulatory and product strategy in a heavily regulated industry. Experience scaling compliance infrastructure at a growing global company: what can Capchase do to have structured, documented ways of managing customer onboarding, management, issue resolution, and offboarding and how can these be implemented without a large team and to meet jurisdiction-specific requirements.
- Command of legal and compliance requirements that sit in the background of the company’s day-to-day work but cannot be ignored, such as customer and employee privacy regulations.
- Ability to support the varied and growing capital markets legal needs of Capchase through outside counsel and non-traditional outside resources (e.g. Lawtrades).
- Deep understanding of non-legal/compliance operational workflows within a company similar to Capchase and how the legal team can support them through in-the-moment assistance to building structures and processes and utilizing legacy and emerging technology and software offerings.
- Experience with and ideas around litigation strategy, notably commercial disputes with customers.
- Collaborate with key leaders on our business development, client services, and finance teams to advise on complex legal matters and develop creative solutions to contribute to the overall success of the company.
- Overseeing laws and regulations, partner models, license requirements, and product excellence and flexibility to plan the next phase of Capchase’s growth.
- Staying current on regulatory trends to ensure our products are built with them in mind instead of being forced to catch up.
- Partner with outside counsel and internal teams while staying within our legal budget or impeding revenue generation.
- Design our legal operations processes that make day-to-day tasks more efficient and predictable. This includes tasks like vendor contract and NDA review and storage, sales support, information/diligence requests from outside parties like capital markets partners, regulators, banks/financial institutions where Capchase holds accounts, insurance providers, and auditors.
- Structure, draft, review, negotiate, and manage a variety of commercial agreements including master service agreements, supplier agreements, and novel agreements with strategic partners.
- Additional areas of responsibility: human resources, corporate (board management and meeting attendance, equity administration, fundraising), real estate, general commercial.
- 10+ years of experience
- Admitted to practice in New York or the ability to register as In-House Counsel in NY
- JD required
- Executive presence and ability to influence a fast-moving group in and from many places around the world
- Knowing how to ensure legal/compliance delivers timely, practical, solutions-oriented support
- Ability to responsibly build a team and advocate for resources while knowing the value of getting things done by yourself where that’s what is best for the company
- Logistics: being present in the New York office with some frequency and willingness to travel to offices in Europe annually
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.