Senior Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
We are a team of passionate entrepreneurs, engineers, programmers, and materials scientists who value creativity and the ability to get things done. Our company is built on the idea that diverse fields of study must come together to solve intractable problems. Diversity – in its many forms – drives innovation. Teams composed of people who bring different perspectives and approaches to the table allow us to innovate much faster. Whether in hardware, software, or molecular science, we bring the best experts together to move our technology forward.
The Senior (Sr.) Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) Specialist is responsible for establishing and maintaining required policies and procedures under the direction of the Director of EHS, and Facilities. The Senior EH&S Specialist will have a background in developing and implementing related policies which help to ensure that the Company at all times remains compliant with governing regulatory agencies and industry best practices. The qualified candidate will possess proficiency in EH&S program development, organization and administration including areas of: emergency preparedness, health and safety training, incident investigation, environmental reporting, hazardous materials and waste management, inspection/auditing, ergonomics, Cal OSHA Injury & Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP),lab safety, and promoting employee involvement in the Company’s Health and Safety program.
The Sr. EH&S Specialist will routinely communicate with a broad and diverse audience while working closely with internal clients to coordinate safety inspections while providing related instruction and support services. The successful candidate will possess an excellent working knowledge of local, state and Federal regulations and requirements that apply to Carbon’s operations. The Sr. EH&S Specialist will participate on the Carbon Safety Committee and as a lead member of the Emergency Action Team responsible for acting as first responders to health and safety-related emergencies.
- Develop, facilitate and coordinate EH&S-related training, including the development of instructional aids/activities and assessment tests and metrics to measure comprehension and advancement of an effective health and safety culture.
- Partner with Facilities staff, the Safety Committee and other functional groups to improve safety awareness and communication.
- Recommend actions to promote the culture of safety at Carbon.
- Perform job hazard assessments (JHAs) and provide technical knowledge in the development of health and safety controls, programs and workplace hazard control strategies. Continually evaluate processes, practices, and chemical and equipment usage to identify and provide recommendations that help to mitigate hazards.
- Review accident/incident/exposure investigations performed by others and assess the effectiveness of recommended corrective actions.
- Develop and implement health and safety programs in the area of electrical safety, lock-out/tag-out, automated external defibrillator (AED), fall protection and contractor safety.
- Develop and maintain the company Chemical Hygiene Program and work closely with scientists to ensure the policy is well aligned with their operations
- Develop and maintain the Company’s ergonomics, Blood Borne Pathogens (BBP), IIPP, programs and related training modules.
- Coordinate with HR regarding the management of Worker’s Compensation cases. Monitor accidents, injuries and incidents and implement programs to reduce the frequency of such events.
- Maintain permits and prepare regulatory reports including: Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP), hazardous waste reports and air quality permit updates.
- Maintain current understanding of life safety related codes (e.g. Cal OSHA/OSHA, CalEPA/DTSC, building and fire codes, etc.).
- Arrange and plan drills and training for the improvement of emergency response team and facility emergency systems. Contribute to and serve as an active lead participant on the company emergency action team.
- Support existing/required hazardous materials and hazardous waste programs. Develop recommendations for improving the programs. Coordinate and administer disposal activities and oversee proper storage operations. Manage conformance of related control areas.
- Generate and maintain health and safety documentation including: SOPs, SDS’s, program documentation and all related correspondence (internal and external) which help to support a strong safety program and workplace culture.
- Review drawings and provide input as needed for construction projects.
- Provide input and assist with Product Safety and customer-related EHS issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Environmental Science or related Science with 10 – 12 years of work experience within the Environmental, Health, and Safety field.
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed.
- Demonstrated writing, verbal and presentation skills are required.
- Able to interpret complex regulatory issues and recommend course of action. Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
- Ability to work independently as an individual contributor and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local regulations. Experience with hazardous waste and chemical classifications and associated controls (control areas) used to manage total on hand quantities.
- Ability to communicate with regulatory agencies and interface with agency inspectors.
- Familiarity with lab safety and best practices