Research Scientist, Materials Development
Materials Development – Materials Development
Working at the intersection of hardware, software, and molecular science, we are committed to delivering on the promise of 3D printing, enabling commercial customers to go beyond basic prototyping to 3D manufacturing.
Our company is built on the idea that when diverse fields of study come together, we are able to solve challenging problems. We have grand dreams to build technology that will influence industries around the world. You will be joining a diverse team with a dynamic culture, where team success is as important as celebrating individual contributions.
Help us change the world, and we will help you change yours.
We are looking for an extraordinary research scientist to develop novel materials for our 3D printing platform. Materials are at the core of what we do. Our materials are used for applications such as prototyping, dental, biomedical, automotive, aerospace, footwear, investment casting, and many more. You will work as part of a cohesive and high-energy team, but also direct individual projects and have the freedom to execute as you see fit.
- Draw on academic and patent literature to identify and evaluate new chemistries and formulation strategies to drive continued materials development
- Synthesize new monomer and oligomers and evaluate performance both at the component and full formulation levels
- Formulate, print and characterize new formulations
- Analyze and communicate materials characterization data in a clear, organized manner and make recommendations that allow for informed decision-making
- Collaborate with internal teams and customers to define key product requirements, interpret test results, and determine follow-up experiments, to support resin products through commercialization
- PhD in chemistry, materials science, polymers science, or related field
- Strong knowledge of materials/polymer structure-property relationships
- Proven record of creative, interdisciplinary approaches to complex problem-solving
- Ability to distill complex, open-ended problems down to testable hypotheses
- Strong knowledge of academic and patent literature
- Experience with oligomer/polymer characterization — GPC, IR, DMA, DSC, TGA, UV-vis
- Experience with UV-curable materials and/or thermoset chemistries (epoxy, cyanate ester, polyurethane, etc.)
- Familiar with the Statistical mixture design software ( JMP, Minitab, etc.)
- Experience with small molecule synthesis and oligomer/polymer synthesis — chain growth & step growth
- Safety conscious individual who actively promotes safe behavior in the department and takes responsibility for safe lab operations
Carbon is committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. Even if you do not think you meet 100% of the job requirements, we encourage you to apply.