Senior Mechanical Engineer
Redwood City, CA /
Engineering – Hardware /
Working at the intersection of hardware, software and molecular science, we are delivering on the promise of 3D digital manufacturing, enabling commercial customers to go beyond basic prototyping to full scale manufacturing. Our company is built on the idea that diverse fields of study can come together to create products that improve people's lives. You will be joining a team with a vibrant culture, where team success is as important as celebrating individual contributions.
We are looking for an analytical-minded senior mechanical engineer to join our existing team to develop and commercialize 3D printers and associated processing equipment.
- Experienced with team projects: You’ve owned designs from concept to completion that integrate with a larger product. Your teammates have come to rely on you.
- Able to communicate: You are comfortable making presentations to audiences varying from the design group to executive staff. You have the ability to present your designs and answer questions in a dynamic environment.
- A motivated questioner: You seek out information from other teams and consolidate that into a thoughtful set of requirements and tests. You bring careful consideration for performance, usability, reliability, cost and manufacturability to all of your work.
- Confident in your design skills: You are experienced in CAD modeling programs and are comfortable using FEA when optimizing.
- Hands-on: We aren’t just designers here; we assemble, test and debug our prototypes. You should love to get your hands dirty (and hopefully wash them afterwards).
What you will be doing:
- Designing: You will be creating our next generation of products directly alongside our diverse team of engineers. You will be responsible for ensuring your project stays on track and on budget.
- Testing: Conduct tests to ensure the functionality and reliability of your designs as they integrate to the full architecture. Those tests are not just mechanical but involve systems, electrical and software.
- Building: Communicate with manufacturing, service and vendors to create quality components that have been designed for assembly.
- Releasing: Work with our operations team to maintain the bill of materials, select the right vendors, and ensure that those parts meet specification before they go into the product.
- Learning: Develop and follow processes to safely and efficiently correct problems that arise in the field. While we only hire service engineers with three hands, hopefully they won’t need them.
- Bachelors in mechanical engineering
- 5+ years of design experience
- Strong working knowledge of injection molding, CNC machining, sheet metal, aluminum die casting and extrusion, cosmetic part finishing, and mass production processes
- Experience with electronically actuated products (mechatronics experience a strong plus)
- A self-starter who is comfortable driving multiple parts and smaller assemblies.
- Proficient in Solidworks
- Ability to review and optimize 2D drawings. Knowledge of GD&T is a plus.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Carbon, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and
At Carbon, we look at the person holistically and carefully consider a wide range of factors when determining compensation. The pay range for this position is $114,000 - $170,000. Your actual salary will be based on your experience, work location, certifications and the unique skills you bring to the role. If you are not based in our Redwood City office, the range above will be adjusted for the geographical differential associated with your actual work location.
Carbon also offers to our eligible employees a comprehensive total rewards package that includes equity, benefits, and time off programs.
For more information on how we modify your pay based on your location, please refer to our geographic differentials chart. For details on our total rewards package, visit https://www.carbon3d.com/about/life-at-carbon.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants, which explains the categories of personal information we collect about you, the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used and your rights with respect to our use of such personal Information.