Working at the intersection of hardware, software, and molecular science, we are committed to delivering on the promise of 3D printing, enabling commercial customers to go beyond basic prototyping to 3D manufacturing.
Our company is built on the idea that when diverse fields of study come together, we are able to solve challenging problems. We have grand dreams to build technology that will influence industries around the world. You will be joining a diverse team with a dynamic culture, where team success is as important as celebrating individual contributions.
Help us change the world, and we will help you change yours.
We are looking for an extraordinary polymer scientist to develop novel materials for our 3D printing platform. Materials are at the core of what we do. Our materials are used for applications such as prototyping, dental, biomedical, automotive, aerospace, footwear, investment casting, and many more. You will work as part of a cohesive and high-energy team, but also direct individual projects and have freedom to execute as you see fit.
- Develop, formulate and test new polymer formulations for Carbon’s Digital Light Synthesis™ technology
- Work with customers closely to understand and define material specification, and validate materials toward end applications per customer requirements
- Investigate additives and methods to qualify long term thermal, UV, hydrolytical stability and performance of materials
- Develop different color options for resins, and ensure printability and stability
- Work with engineering team to characterize the printing process for new formulations/colors, and understand how process changes affect properties and performance of final product
- Contribute to commercialization of new formulations for production
- The ideal candidate should be a motivated, passionate, creative problem solver who can work collaboratively with excellent communication skills.
- PhD in polymer, chemistry, materials science, and chemical engineering focused on polymer research. Prior industrial experience preferred. Outstanding BS/MS level with industrial experience will also considered.
- Fundamental understanding and knowledge of polymerization reaction mechanisms, polymer structure, testing and characterization methodologies.
- Understanding of polymer degradation mechanisms and process caused by heat and UV light; experience working with UV stabilizers, HALS, antioxidants for polymers and elastomers preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in a broad range of polymer characterization instrumentation including: Instron, DMA, DSC, rheometer, TGA, GC, GPC, etc. Strong analytical skills with ability to make progress with ambiguous and incomplete information.
- Familiarity with advanced DOE (design of experiment) techniques and statistical analysis preferred.
- Safety conscious individual who actively promotes safe behavior in the department and takes responsibility for safe lab operations