Global Director, Total Rewards
People & Culture – Human Resources
Working at the intersection of hardware, software and molecular science, Carbon is delivering on the promise of 3D digital manufacturing, enabling commercial customers to go beyond basic prototyping to full scale manufacturing. Our company is built on the idea that diverse fields of study must come together to solve intractable problems. We have grand ambitions to create technology that will influence industry around the world. You will be joining a diverse team with a vibrant culture, where team success is as important as celebrating individual contributions. Carbon is a high-profile start-up that is shaping its brand to support an unprecedented growth trajectory. Carbon is hiring a Director of Total Rewards to drive the strategic planning and development of our executive and broad-based total rewards programs.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, you will make an immediate impact developing programs while also building out a small team. This role will be critical in setting the rewards and recognition strategy that will support Carbon’s talent attraction and retention initiatives.
This is a great leadership and “hands-on” opportunity for someone who is interested in building a strong total rewards capability that will have a critical impact on the Company’s overall talent strategy and growth plans.
- Lead, shape, influence and evangelize Carbon’s total rewards philosophy.
- Design and implement total rewards programs including compensation and incentive programs, non-monetary recognition programs, health, welfare, retirement programs, including voluntary benefits programs.
- Implement country-based compensation structures and benefit programs to ensure organizational equity and market competitiveness in alignment with the business strategy.
- Partner with the Chief People Officer and external comp consultants to assess our executive compensation strategies to make sure they are best-in-class and drive results.
- Drive the preparation of materials for quarterly Compensation Committee meetings.
- Lead projects for key compensation initiatives such as compensation structure design and implementation, market benchmarking, career path/ladder formation, and short- and long-term incentive programs.
- Conduct in-depth competitive research, analysis, and modeling for compensation programs including annual increase budgets, trends and impacts, equity utilization, and financial impact of incentive design scenarios.
- Conduct ongoing pay equity analyses to ensure our employees are compensated fairly.
- Partner effectively with People BPs and business leaders to address functional rewards and retention needs and provide advice on total rewards strategy (e.g. promotions/transfers, job offers, relocations) and policy and guideline interpretation.
- Support the development, implementation, and maintenance of compensation tools and systems.
- Lead the development of total rewards communications and training programs to ensure that colleagues, leaders, and employees have the right level of knowledge; ensure communications are well-planned and implemented in such a way that the necessary behaviors are supported.
- Analyze benefit plan coverage and recommend innovative benefit strategies, policies and programs designed to attract and retain employees in accordance with global industry trends.
- Oversee, where applicable, open enrollment for health and welfare benefit programs, including the development of timelines, communication plan utilizing various media, system updates, coordinating with brokers, vendors and reporting.
- Partner with the People Operations team to ensure full compliance with all global state, federal, and country regulations, reporting, and filing requirements relating to all total rewards plans.
- Design reports that monitor total rewards costs and provide executive leadership with data needed to understand trends and budget impacts.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 10 years of hands-on total rewards, compensation and benefits experience with demonstrated progression in responsibility in a high-growth environment.
- Excel in change management and strong communication of total rewards philosophy and practices with managers, employees and within the People Team.
- Deep knowledge of executive compensation, sales compensation, base salary, market pricing, variable pay and performance management, job evaluation, data analysis, research and cost modeling on a global level.
- Ability to toggle between the 10- and 10,000-foot view of challenges or projects.
- Proven experience in creating and managing innovative, compelling compensation and total rewards programs in a fast-paced environment; skilled at interpreting business needs and making decisions based on data and emerging priorities.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to translate data and trends into key insights and recommendations; financial prowess and ability to build and manage budgets, build predictive and projective models, understanding of equity practices, etc.
- Hands-on approach, detail-oriented, proven ability to track, prioritize and drive to success multiple concurrent projects; demonstrated expertise as an executor, with strong operational background.
- Highest level of integrity and management of confidential information.
- Global benefit experience including knowledge of health and welfare plans, leaves, time off practices and retirement plans.
- Expert knowledge of Excel. Deep interest in analyzing data and the ability to see beyond the numbers to drive sound decision-making.
- Intellectually curious – always interested in staying knowledgeable about compensation trends and changing market dynamics that may impact Carbon’s rewards strategy.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills required to effectively communicate total rewards strategies at all levels, from administrative to the C-Suite.
- Ability to think globally, strategically, and objectively to effectively translate data into actionable insights, strategies and financial plans.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, growing environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required and/or equivalent in experience. Business administration, finance, economics, or other quantitative focus preferred.
Carbon is committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. Even if you do not think you meet 100% of the job requirements, we encourage you to apply.