Production Development Engineer
Carbon’s mission is simple: we change how products are made and how manufacturing businesses are run. From patient-specific medical devices to on-demand spare part production, we enable engineers and business people to create in ways that were previously impossible. As a Production Development Engineer at Carbon your main goal is to help our current and future customers assess, evaluate, and optimize their applications for production. Our common vision is to build Carbon-powered factories that make new products and new business models possible. Carbon Production Development Engineers lead our collaborations with these visionary customers and help them make their vision a reality.
Part of Carbon’s strategy is to scale through the creation of a Production Partner Network. The role of Production Development Engineer is instrumental in supporting growth of this network, establishing the deep relationships required for solid partnerships and maintaining the quality of interaction with the end customer. The Production Development Engineer will assist Carbon’s partners in providing a high-quality interaction with their customers on a day-to-day basis in the areas of Service, Training, Marketing, and Sales. This will require a dynamic person with a customer facing personality, attention to detail and the ability to learn and distill challenging technical information quickly so that it can be conveyed to our partners in a concise way.
After only a few months in this role you will have learned more than you have in the past few years, you will have interacted with people from a wider range of industries and job functions than you have in your professional life and you will have a greater impact on how manufacturing is done than you could have in any other job.
This role will be working within an exceptional team but will often need to be very independent. Self-direction, independence and initiative will be needed. This role will require the candidate to be based at the Redwood City, CA central office. A significant amount of travel will be required (30 to 50%).
- EDUCATE customers on design for DLS concepts and execution. This will include how the printer works, details of Carbon's materials, design guidelines to follow, the parameters that affect successful outcomes, the software used to create new design concepts, and post processing and finishing techniques.
- COMPARE injection molded processes to our 3D printing technology (design for manufacturability)
- PRESENT seminars at Carbon's office as well as at the offices of customers and Production Partners
- EVALUATE potential projects for production with DLS (Digital Light Synthesis).
- Form a complete set of REQUIREMENTS and statement of work for each project.
- MANAGE timelines, milestones, deliverables.
- DEVELOP applications from prototyping to production by assisting with all stages of production including file preparation, resin dispense, printing, post processing, finishing, quality control to deliver a full production solution based upon the application.
- TROUBLESHOOT when customer has challenges with process.
- OPTIMIZE customer designs, supports, and process parameters for best results in production with DLS. This will usually be an iterative process which will involve design, setup, printing and adjusting inputs
- Helping customer set up their process and facility to maximize efficiency, safety and professionalism of their operation
- 10 years of EXPERIENCE with all stages of engineering development including, determining requirements, failure modes analysis, writing specifications, design, documentation, verification, production set-up and optimization.
- INITIATIVE to do what is necessary to support and build partner success.
- PROFESSIONALISM, Customer-facing/interpersonal skills
- CREATIVITY and design talent
- DESIGN and CAD skills, preferably in multiple software environments
- PATIENCE with customers, hardware and software
- INTUITIVE grasp of mechanical analysis
- TROUBLESHOOTING skills
- MANAGEMENT of multiple tasks at a time while paying strict attention to detail
- ORGANIZATIONAL skills
- COMMUNICATIONS skills, written and verbal, including in-person presentations in groups, via phone and email
- FLEXIBILITY to adjust with a dynamic, growing company
- FLUENT in English
- BS Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent
- Experience with Injection Molding
- Experience with additive manufacturing technologies
- Familiarity with FEA, Topology Optimization, Algorithmic Design
- Bilingual is a plus