Senior Electrical Engineer
Arts District, Los Angeles, CA /
Product Development /
Interested in working with a groundbreaking company that’s focused on decarbonizing the atmosphere?
Founded in 2019, CarbonCapture is a California-based climate tech company that makes modular machines that can be connected in large arrays to capture massive amounts of CO2 directly from the atmosphere. CarbonCapture was created at Idealab, a leading technology incubator.
The Senior Electrical and Controls Engineer will be a member of the Product Engineering team responsible for designing the detailed electrical and control systems of the CarbonCapture’s Direct Air Capture product and define the specifications and requirements for various key components. Crucially, the engineer will collaborate with the Systems Engineering, Prototype & Test, Project, and Supply Chain teams to ensure that the product designs are aligned with all requirements and need across the organization.
- In collaboration with Technology Development team and Systems Engineering team, design the detailed electrical and control systems of the Carbon Capture’s Direct Air Capture product and define the specifications and requirements for various key components; design the systems with the sensor and actuator integration as well as automation control in mind; design the components and systems for power distribution, communication, and control
- Work with the Supply Chain team and vendors and to select and procure electrical and control equipment and verify their performance against the specifications; integrate the electrical and control components into the product and validate their functional performance; integrate the various instrumentation and actuators ensuring the systems can reliably operate with design specifications
- Design control schemes with eye towards mechanical and electrical integration, create detailed state machines using event-driven architecture; architect, write, and debug PLC & HMI code with emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable
- Work with Project group to ensure adequate electrical design in compliance with the National Electric Code and accepted industry recommended practices such as NFPA, API, and IEEE.
- Solve challenging engineering problems by characterizing components, designing/prototyping control systems, circuits, schematics, etc.
- Deliver full engineering package, and support manufacturing to ensure a smooth transition into mass production.
- Conduct risk assessments, develop and maintain strong safety standards, for both prototype and plant operation; manage documentation to show and ensure compliance with internal and external regulations and protocols
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, or applicable Engineering field with a minimum 6 years of experience
- Strong understanding power and control systems for actuators, pumps, fans, motors, heaters, instrumentation, and other industrial / chemical processing equipment
- Strong understanding of industrial and process controls: PLCs, relays, VFDs, HMI, SCADA. etc.
- Experience with common industrial communication and control protocols standards (Ethernet, PowerLink, EtherCAT, Mod-Bus, RS-485, Fieldbus, TCP/IP).
- Experience in programing industrial control systems per IEC 61131
- Knowledge of NEC Article 670 and NFPA 79 for industrial machinery and other relevant national and international standards in the area of electrical distribution low/medium/high voltage
- Excellent knowledge of low/medium/high voltage electrical systems including protective relaying, safety interlocks, arc fault and short circuit analysis, load studies, switchgear, transformers, motor control centers, emergency generators, UPS’s and variable frequency drives
- Experience in electrical schematic design, electrical distribution design, and single line diagram preparation
- Ability to track hardware issues, drive root cause investigations, and take corrective actions
- Strong technical writing, communication, and organizational skills; can perform well working closely with multidisciplinary teams
- Experience in new product design, distributed controls, chemical delivery, and vacuum systems
- Hands-on experience in building test units and prototypes.
- Experience in providing field support and participating in check out, commissioning and start-up of process control installations
- Good working knowledge of safety system documentation, automation validation, quality assurance, etc.
- Adaptability to a start-up environment; capability to take initiative, develop own tasks and timelines, and solve broad challenging problems.
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, or applicable Engineering field with 3+ years of experience
- SolidWorks Electrical, AutoCAD or similar CAD experience
- Experience with electrical CAD simulation and design environments
- Industrial automation and PLC experience would be preferred (Allen-Bradley, Beckhoff, Siemens)
- System operation FMEA analysis experience
- Experience with controls type wiring, power circuits & wire harnesses
- Experience handling industrial electrical equipment up to 3-Phase @ 208Vac, 240Vac & 480Vac
- Programming experience in C, C++, C#, Python, SQL software development and debugging would be a desirable asset
- Product development experience would be preferrable
- Familiar with NEC and NFPA Safety Standards; Compliance and Certification Process
Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from CarbonCapture.