Risk Operations Analyst
San Francisco, California /
Who we are:
Cardless is a credit card company. We help brands launch custom cobrand credit card products. We handle the program creation, card underwriting, lending, issuance, and top-notch customer service, while brands focus on delivering rewards truly valuable to their superfan cardholders.
We recently raised a Series A, and things are getting serious.
In the 18 months since our founding, we have assembled all of the partnerships needed to launch, hired engineering, compliance, and operational teams, secured strong funding, and have built the foundations for an iconic brand.
We’re confident about what we’ve built so far, but we know it can be better. Which brings us to your role...
Cardless’s risk team is responsible for managing all losses for the company and getting risk management right is essential as we scale our business aggressively in the next year. As the Risk operations Analyst, you will be responsible for finding, tracking and mitigating fraud. Fraudsters will be looking to discover and exploit any loophole they can find in our product and will be attacking us from Day One of our product launch. You should be prepared to fight back. It’s going to be a monumental task but a challenge of this size should excite you. Additionally, as a startup, you will need to understand the balance between growth and risk and be comfortable making informed tradeoffs when needed.
You will also be the first dedicated data hire at Cardless. Not only will you shape the analytical culture of Cardless but your responsibilities will expand beyond the Risk team. You will be responsible for tracking company-level KPIs and will be working closely with business partners such as Compliance and Operations on their data and reporting needs. This will require you to have a go-getter attitude and a strong sense of ownership; you should deliver high quality work and no task should be too big or too small for you.
- Support the Risk Director by managing fraud losses in the Cardless portfolio.
- Perform quantitative analysis to understand vectors of risk and fraud behaviors.
- Develop rules and strategies around mitigating fraud at all levels - applications, account management and transactions.
- Utilize third party data vendors and tools to set score thresholds and strategies for fraud prevention.
- Investigate patterns of fraudulent activity within Cardless, particularly when it comes to applications, customer support and transactions.
- Run A-B testing to optimize Cardless’s business processes and strategies.
- Build company-level reports and dashboards while working with cross-functional teams within Cardless.
- Track performance of Cardless’s business processes such as the underwriting waterfall to understand what’s normal and what’s not.
- 3+ years of experience in risk analytics, preferably in the FinTech or lending space.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience querying large datasets - fluency in SQL and Excel are must haves.
- Knowledge of statistical packages in other programming languages such as Python, SAS or R are a bonus.
- Experience with experimental design and A-B testing.
- Familiarity with data pipelining, data modeling and ETL processes.
- Ability to tell clear stories using data especially with data visualization software such as Tableau or Looker.
- Strong understanding of the lending space and familiarity with fair lending laws and regulations.
- Ability to think like a fraudster and aptitude for conducting risk investigations.
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks appropriately while managing stakeholder expectations.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience working with banking partners and third party data vendors is a bonus.
Cardless was founded in February 2019 by Michael Spelfogel and Scott Kazmierowicz (ex-Stanford CS / Data Science, ex-Lyft, ex-Visa, ex-Goldman) and is backed by top VCs including Accomplice, Greycroft, Clocktower Ventures, as well as founders of Plaid, Plastiq, SeatGeek, Flatiron Health, and FiveStars. We believe the future of financial services is cardless. Our name reflects the advanced technologies we work with everyday to make managing and moving money safer, easier, and more rewarding for everyone.