Operations Lead, Risk
San Francisco, California /
Who we are:
Cardless is a credit card company. If you've ever signed up for a rewards card, be it for hotel points or airline miles, you know what we do. If you've ever wondered why more of your favorite brands don't offer similar rewards cards, you know why we do it. Behind the scenes, the creation of a co-brand credit card is a lengthy, cumbersome process that requires collaboration with massive slow-moving partners. Our goal is to change that. We work with the banks, payment processors, and payment rails to accelerate card launches and empower brands to focus on delivering rewards truly valuable to their superfan cardholders.
In the 18 months since our founding, we have gathered an all-star team as well as assembled all of the partnerships needed to launch, built a scalable system with a working credit card, and secured strong funding. We are a team as much as an organization and value individuality, diversity, and collaboration as much as talent. We've built the foundations of a truly groundbreaking financial product and we're ready for our next chapter as we have officially launched! The Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) credit card is live and the Cardless era of credit cards has begun.
We're confident about what we've built so far, but we know it can be better. Which brings us to your role...
Cardless’s risk team is responsible for managing all losses for the company and getting risk management right is essential as we scale our business aggressively in the next year. As the Operations Lead, Risk, you will be responsible for reviewing applications and transactions with our credit card for suspicious and fraudulent activity. Risk Operations is a new function for Cardless, so you will also be responsible for developing procedures relating to fraud reviews as well as identifying tools that can help us build a world-class Risk Operations organization.
Fraudsters will be looking to discover and exploit any loophole they can find in our product and will be attacking us from Day One of our product launch. You should be prepared to fight back. It’s going to be a monumental task but a challenge of this size should excite you. Additionally, as a startup, you will need to understand the balance between growth and risk and be comfortable making informed tradeoffs when needed.
- Investigate potential cases of application and transaction fraud and decision transactions accordingly.
- Develop processes and policies for how to evaluate suspected fraud cases in accordance with all consumer credit laws and regulations.
- Partner with the data team in assessing effectiveness of fraud strategies.
- Review risk-related escalations from external customer support agents.
- Identify areas of fraud vulnerability within our current systems and work with the leadership team on implementing solutions.
- 4+ years of experience in risk operations in the consumer credit space.
- Strong understanding of the consumer credit space and familiarity with fair lending regulations such as ECOA, FCRA and TILA.
- Impeccable detective skills and ability to conduct fraud investigations with limited tooling.
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to identify areas of improvement within the Risk Operations space.
- Strong interpersonal skills An analytical mindset to partner with the Data team in setting and optimizing fraud strategy.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and SQL are bonuses.
Cardless was founded in February 2019 by Michael Spelfogel and Scott Kazmierowicz (ex-Stanford CS / Data Science, ex-Lyft, ex-Visa, ex-Goldman) and is backed by top VCs including Accomplice, Greycroft, Clocktower Ventures, as well as founders of Plaid, Plastiq, SeatGeek, Flatiron Health, and FiveStars. We believe the future of financial services is cardless. Our name reflects the advanced technologies we work with everyday to make managing and moving money safer, easier, and more rewarding for everyone.