Head of People
San Francisco, California /
Who we are
Cardless is a new type of credit card company. We exist to make credit cards in the U.S. more fair, useful, and delightful.
We're beginning by helping brands launch their own ("co-branded") credit cards more quickly & easily. We just launched our first two cards with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Manchester United, and we're excited for many more to come. Our cards are digital-first, consumer-friendly, and tailored to both brands & fans with delightful discounts & rewards.
Read more about our business and our product in these blog posts from our founders and an industry expert:
• How to make a credit card by Michael Spelfogel
• Designing for dignity & joy by Scott Kazmierowicz
• Here's how fintech could disrupt credit card rewards by Gary Leff
We're based in San Francisco, and have grown rapidly since our founding in 2019. We're backed by top VCs like Accomplice, Greycroft, and Clocktower Ventures, as well as founders of Plaid, Plastiq, SeatGeek, Flatiron Health, and FiveStars.
We believe cultivating our incredible talent and culture is our most competitive edge, so we’re looking for a Head of People who can help elevate us to the next level. In this role, you’ll scale our growing company from within, focusing on culture, org design, performance management, total rewards and learning/development. You have a strong understanding of what makes people and organizations think and are a thought partner to leadership on how to bring out the best in their teams. You are hands-on -- willing to get into the nitty gritty of benefits, while also developing the culture and practices for the whole company. You are comfortable navigating sensitive and sometimes challenging conversations, and you become a trusted counsel to others at every level in the company.
- Partner with senior leadership to develop and drive HR strategy, tackling projects and programs at all levels - strategic, operational, and tactical
- Oversee and drive engagement survey actions, 360 review processes, training & development, etc. and evolving and elevating these programs over time
- Oversee employee lifecycle events from onboarding to offboarding, including Performance Improvement Plans, separations, exit interviews and turning feedback into actionable insights
- Create and drive a DEI strategy that enables true inclusion and belonging for all employees
- Oversee and lead all employee relations matters including partnering closely with legal or external counsel as needed
- Create and manage all employees policies and the employee handbook
- Direct compensation and benefits programs for the company inc. 401K, leave policies, bonuses, etc
- Ensure HR is data driven by collecting, learning from and making decisions based on data and that our systems such as our HRIS is maintained as our source of truth
- Develop return to work initiatives, own strategy and execution of playbook, policies related to office use, and safety procedures as we move forward through a COVID response.
- Oversee all I-9 compliance and immigration cases such as H-1Bs, student visas, Green Cards, etc.
- 7-10 years of HR experience building culture and leading teams at rapidly growing organizations, with a strong focus on employee relations and compensations/benefits programs.
- Experience partnering at the C-level, and working with senior leadership to empower, influence and drive change
- Depth of knowledge about HR practices and employment/labor legislation
- Experience successfully designing and deploying new HR initiatives
With San Francisco reopening, we're excited to return to in-person collaboration and grow in SF. Our office is in the sunny Mission District near Dolores Park (and it's beautiful).
To support an easier transition back, we're letting employees work remotely up to 2 days/week, though this may change in the future.
We're happy to cover up to $5,000 in relocation costs if you don't already live in the Bay Area. We also provide commuter benefits and a childcare stipend (see below).
If working from San Francisco is untenable for you, but you’d love to join us and you have meaningful experience working remotely, let us know. (We'd love to hear about your experience with mixed office+remote in particular.) We're not hiring remotely right now, but we value learning from others and re-evaluating our decisions with new information.
Benefits & perks
In addition to competitive salaries and meaningful equity, we offer:
👩🏾⚕️ Top-of-the-line healthcare (medical, vision, and dental), with 100% primary coverage (and 75% dependent) for medical
🌴 Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 15 days off per year
🍱 Lunch at the office every day, and $30/day lunch expense for days you work from home
🚎 $220/month expense for public transit (BART/Muni) or our parking garage, plus covered Uber/Lyft after hours to the BART stop or parking garage
🐣 $500/month childcare stipend through August, to help parents with childcare costs until their kids return to school
🍄 Free snacks & drinks in our office (along with ⬆️ standing desks, 🖥️ large-screen monitors, a lovely 🌳 outdoor garden, and an indoor 🏓 ping pong table)
✈️ Amazing team trips & offsites, including via our brand partners (e.g. the Cavs invited us to watch a game in a suite, and we stayed in a Ritz-Carlton across the street)
Culture & values
We're small & early, so we're still shaping our culture and expect to iterate on it. But for now, we value:
• Curiosity & humility. Our domain is complex, requiring input from many perspectives (product, engineering, design, legal/compliance, risk, operations, partnerships, and more) to be successful. We try to keep an open mind and listen to our colleagues.
• Diversity & inclusion. We're building a product for mainstream America, so representation matters. We strive to create equitable processes & policies and keep learning & improving.
• Quality & craft. Correctness, reliability, regulatory compliance, privacy & security… These things matter in our domain. We try to get them right the first time around.
• Rigor & discipline. We map our work to company goals and measure our progress with data; we think through the tradeoffs of our decisions; and we write & review design docs too, not just code. We approach our work with maturity and strive to build the world-class organization we all want to work in.
• Impact & growth! We all deeply want to succeed, and we believe that your individual success is our collective success. We're happy to give you significant ownership & responsibility and help you rise to the occasion.