Backend Engineer (5+ years of experience)
San Francisco, California /
Who we are:
Cardless is a credit card company. If you've ever signed up for a rewards card, be it for hotel points or airline miles, you know what we do. If you've ever wondered why more of your favorite brands don't offer similar rewards cards, you know why we do it. Behind the scenes, the creation of a co-brand credit card is a lengthy, cumbersome process that requires collaboration with massive slow-moving partners. Our goal is to change that. We work with the banks, payment processors, and payment rails to accelerate card launches and empower brands to focus on delivering rewards truly valuable to their superfan cardholders.
In the 18 months since our founding, we have gathered an all-star team as well as assembled all of the partnerships needed to launch, built a scalable system with a working credit card, and secured strong funding. We are a team as much as an organization and value individuality, diversity, and collaboration as much as talent. We've built the foundations of a truly groundbreaking financial product and we're ready for our next chapter as we have officially launched! The Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) credit card is live and the Cardless era of credit cards has begun.
We're confident about what we've built so far, but we know it can be better. Which brings us to your role...
As a backend engineer, you’ll be working in our backend payments stack to architect our core products: a mobile app for consumers and a web app for brands. You’ll also interface closely with key partners and customers to help architect and implement new products and features. Software engineering experience building complex systems is a must, enjoying getting into the weeds on complex financial products, processes, and regulation is a plus!
- At least five years work experience as a backend software engineer, building backend services and infrastructure
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and regulatory, financial, privacy, and security experts
- Demonstrated expertise working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Experience stitching many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design
- Work with a wide range of systems, processes and technologies to own and solve problems from end-to-end
- Build new features for internal and external users
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter
- Collaborate with teams across the company including product, design, and operations
Cardless was founded in February 2019 by Michael Spelfogel and Scott Kazmierowicz (ex-Stanford CS / Data Science, ex-Lyft, ex-Visa, ex-Goldman) and is backed by top VCs including Accomplice, Greycroft, Clocktower Ventures, as well as founders of Plaid, Plastiq, SeatGeek, Flatiron Health, and FiveStars. We believe the future of financial services is cardless. Our name reflects the advanced technologies we work with everyday to make managing and moving money safer, easier, and more rewarding for everyone.