Head of Engineering
San Francisco, California /
Who we are:
Cardless is a credit card company. If you've ever signed up for a rewards card, be it for hotel points or airline miles, you know what we do. If you've ever wondered why more of your favorite brands don't offer similar rewards cards, you know why we do it. Behind the scenes, the creation of a co-brand credit card is a lengthy, cumbersome process that requires collaboration with massive slow-moving partners. Our goal is to change that. We work with the banks, payment processors, and payment rails to accelerate card launches and empower brands to focus on delivering rewards truly valuable to their superfan cardholders.
In the 18 months since our founding, we have gathered an all-star team as well as assembled all of the partnerships needed to launch, built a scalable system with a working credit card, and secured strong funding. We are a team as much as an organization and value individuality, diversity, and collaboration as much as talent. With our first public launch on the horizon, we have built the foundations for a truly groundbreaking financial product.
We're confident about what we've built so far, but we know it can be better. Which brings us to your role...
As Head of Engineering, you will be an important leader at our company, working hard to grow our technical team and constantly refine our engineering culture and processes. You will mentor and lead talented individual contributors and line managers in our engineering organization, teaching best practices and providing thoughtful feedback. You’ll manage a wide variety of technical projects in close collaboration with colleagues from product, design, risk, compliance, and operations. And finally, you’ll be an important part of our leadership team, helping to set hiring and product strategy company-wide.
Technical Leadership Requirements:
- You have an obsession for engineering quality, and using metrics to drive engineering teams to improve qualityYou have domain expertise in one of the following areas: payments, risk, distributed systemsIn addition to domain expertise, you have broad knowledge of technologies across machine learning, mobile applications, modern webapps, security and infrastructure.
- You’re a lifelong student who loves learning about new technologies. You’re adept at weighing the opportunities and risks inherent in using new technologies.
- You can effectively communicate technical tradeoffs and concepts in a non-technical way to facilitate cross-functional discussions and decision-making.
- You have made an impact on your industry with your domain expertise and thought leadership; e.g. tech talks, conferences, company blog posts, open source contributions
- You have led and delivered complex products start to finish, driving meaningful impact on your company’s key metrics
People Leadership Requirements:
- You have developed a personal philosophy of managing and leading teams, with a deep understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the engineering organizations you’ve been a part of
- You are a student of servant leadership, constantly looking for ways to increase your effectiveness and bring out the best in your team
- You are obsessed with identifying talented engineers, put their strengths to best use, and identifying ways they can improve and grow
- You are caring for your team and gained trust and respect from your engineers
- You have extensive experience working with cross-functional teams, facilitating discussions and building alignment between diverse colleagues
- You are an excellent communicator, especially when it comes to sharing progress and blockers with company stakeholders
- You are excited to build a world-class engineering brand and strong team culture built on trust and ideological debate
- You can have fun and keep things light, uniting the team around group activities and events
Cardless was founded in February 2019 by Michael Spelfogel and Scott Kazmierowicz (ex-Stanford CS / Data Science, ex-Lyft, ex-Visa, ex-Goldman) and is backed by top VCs including Accomplice, Greycroft, Clocktower Ventures, as well as founders of Plaid, Plastiq, SeatGeek, Flatiron Health, and FiveStars. We believe the future of financial services is cardless. Our name reflects the advanced technologies we work with everyday to make managing and moving money safer, easier, and more rewarding for everyone.