Operations Lead, Core Payments
San Francisco, California /
Who we are:
Cardless is a credit card company. If you've ever signed up for a rewards card, be it for hotel points or airline miles, you know what we do. If you've ever wondered why more of your favorite brands don't offer similar rewards cards, you know why we do it. Behind the scenes, the creation of a co-brand credit card is a lengthy, cumbersome process that requires collaboration with massive slow-moving partners. Our goal is to change that. We work with the banks, payment processors, and payment rails to accelerate card launches and empower brands to focus on delivering rewards truly valuable to their superfan cardholders.
In the 18 months since our founding, we have gathered an all-star team as well as assembled all of the partnerships needed to launch, built a scalable system with a working credit card, and secured strong funding. We are a team as much as an organization and value individuality, diversity, and collaboration as much as talent. We've built the foundations of a truly groundbreaking financial product and we're ready for our next chapter as we have officially launched! The Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) credit card is live and the Cardless era of credit cards has begun.
We're confident about what we've built so far, but we know it can be better. Which brings us to your role...
Cardless’ Core Payments team is responsible for driving forward complex projects for our partner onboarding and working across multiple cross-functional teams and external partners to ensure our customers' programs are successfully delivered. We manage several key external partners to ensure flawless product launches and ongoing operational management.
As the Operations Lead, Core Payments, you will shape the Operational culture of Cardless. A successful leader for this team will be organized, experienced in project management, and able to shift seamlessly between execution and escalation management. The day-to-day of operations work can be intense - so a positive attitude and deep passion for providing a great experience to all stakeholders are highly qualifying traits. We’re a lean team, so no task should be too big or too small for you.
This role requires a dynamic professional that is extremely detail-oriented and takes initiative to engage cross-functionally. You have an opportunity for tremendous impact as we scale the business.
- Manage operational aspects of Cardless offerings including product features and upgrades and new partner programs
- Create scalable and effective payments program processes to deliver successful brand partner launches
- Work closely with internal/external stakeholders to design and execute brand partner onboarding
- Lead and manage payments product partners, external stakeholders and vendors to ensure effective and timely execution of deliverables
- Manage daily relationships and escalations with key Payments Partner(s) including prioritizing efforts and delivering across teams
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience within the financial services sector and a solid understanding of the payments ecosystem and its regulatory environment (issuing banks, processors, card networks, & card supply chain)
- Minimum 3 years in an operational-focused role and solid understanding of how processes and systems interact; ability to solve a problem before it occurs
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills coupled with unparalleled follow-up skills - both outbound (to Partners) and with internal stakeholders
- Superior program and project management experience and the ability to prioritize, manage and deliver on multiple projects with various stakeholders; highly motivated and able to deliver on ambitious deadlines
- Excellent time management skills and ability to thrive in a fast moving environment
- Ability to identify and implement areas for optimization and process improvement
- High attention to detail and ability to execute with a high degree of accuracy
Total pluses, if you got it:
- Knowledge of financial institution back office or corporate payment processing - funds flow and bank and network settlement operations
- Strong background in process management with a demonstrated ability to improve company controls and protections, including the design of an effective internal control structure and an understanding of operations analytics and vendor management
Cardless was founded in February 2019 by Michael Spelfogel and Scott Kazmierowicz (ex-Stanford CS / Data Science, ex-Lyft, ex-Visa, ex-Goldman) and is backed by top VCs including Accomplice, Greycroft, Clocktower Ventures, as well as founders of Plaid, Plastiq, SeatGeek, Flatiron Health, and FiveStars. We believe the future of financial services is cardless. Our name reflects the advanced technologies we work with everyday to make managing and moving money safer, easier, and more rewarding for everyone.