Mobile Software Engineer (React Native)
Product Development – Engineering
CareMessage is a non-profit dedicated to using mobile technology to improve healthcare outcomes for underserved patient populations. Since our patient engagement product launched in 2013, we have grown to work with over 200 healthcare organizations across the United States and have reached over 2 million lives.
Our web-based platform allows healthcare providers to reduce no-shows, increase attendance to preventive care screenings, and improve chronic disease management- all via simple "nudges" sent through text message. Besides improving the efficiency of the clinics that use our product, our impact has been shown through numerous clinical studies showing improvements in diabetes management and cancer screenings.
We have big goals in 2020: 1) Reach millions of patients on a monthly basis 2) Become profitable through a financially sustainable business model and 3) Build a diverse team that fully reflects the users it serves. We represent the next generation of healthcare technology organizations with an innovative product, business model, and remote-first organizational structure. Our long term goal is to impact healthcare outcomes globally.
To fund our growth we have raised over $21 million in funding from organizations like Google.org, William K. Bowes Jr. Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, YCombinator, Schmidt Futures, Twilio.org, CVS Health Foundation, among others. In 2019 we became a remote-first company with ~50 people based across the United States and around the world.
Check out our team culture on The Muse
If you're still wondering what a tech nonprofit is about, learn more from a member of our leadership team.
Who we are looking for...
Our team is looking for a Mobile Software Engineer with React Native experience to help build and maintain our mobile application that streamlines care management and helps improve health outcomes. You’ll be working on exciting projects like building a mobile app for healthcare organizations and patients, integrating with APIs, and automating builds for iOS and Android. Our engineering team follows agile principles in a test-driven development process. We are a remote-first team that values open collaboration and shared ownership.
Within one month, you will...
- Understand and follow the engineering development process
- Learn and follow CareMessage's coding standards
- Understand architectural design of projects owned by your team
- Be self-sufficient in completing your tasks
- Complete the walk-through of all features your team owns and have working familiarity with their functionality
Within two months, you will...
- Be an active participant in all team meetings
- Take ownership of your tasks and provide feedback to PRs
- Gain an understanding of the functional team structure (e.g. product lines, Project Leads, Product Managers, the features each team owns, etc)
Within three months, you will...
- Participate in technical design of features
- Be able to provide on-call support for your area
- Begin to focus on attaining expertise in one or more areas (e.g., performance best practice, efficient use of data stores, etc.)
- Build and maintain mobile apps that build for both iOS and Android
- Ensure the usage of up-to-date packages and best practices
- Collaborate with engineering, QA, and product to ensure we provide a high-quality user experience for our apps and ensure our product scales as our user base grows
- 1+ years of professional mobile application development using React Native
- Strong knowledge of mobile application build systems and automation
- Experience with integrating third-party SDKs, like Facebook, Google Analytics, etc
- Experience with App Store and Play Store releases
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
Flexible work hours; work from anywhere
Generous medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
Options for Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts
Sponsored annual membership to One Medical
401k retirement plan
Paid parental leave
13 wellness days to be used for anything that comes up in life or self-care
Paid time off (vacation days)
Sabbatical program after 4-year anniversary
15 paid company holidays, including a winter break
Employee Assistance Program
Budget for professional and personal development (conferences, seminars, books, and more)
We are committed to equal opportunity and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, etc.