Software Engineering Manager
Product Development – Engineering
CareMessage is a non-profit dedicated to using mobile technology to improve healthcare outcomes for underserved patient populations. Since our patient engagement product launched in 2013, we have grown to work with over 200 healthcare organizations across the United States and have reached over 2 million lives.
Our web-based platform allows healthcare providers to reduce no-shows, increase attendance to preventive care screenings, and improve chronic disease management- all via simple "nudges" sent through text message. Besides improving the efficiency of the clinics that use our product, our impact has been shown through numerous clinical studies showing improvements in diabetes management and cancer screenings.
We have big goals in 2020: 1) Reach millions of patients on a monthly basis 2) Become profitable through a financially sustainable business model and 3) Build a diverse team that fully reflects the users it serves. We represent the next generation of healthcare technology organizations with an innovative product, business model, and remote-first organizational structure. Our long term goal is to impact healthcare outcomes globally.
To fund our growth we have raised over $21 million in funding from organizations like Google.org, William K. Bowes Jr. Foundation, Pershing Square Foundation, YCombinator, Schmidt Futures, Twilio.org, CVS Health Foundation, among others. In 2019 we became a remote-first company with ~50 people based across the United States and around the world.
Check out our team culture on The Muse
If you're still wondering what a tech nonprofit is about, learn more from a member of our leadership team.
What We Are Looking For...
The CareMessage team is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who is excited about coaching and mentoring engineers as they bring mobile technology to underserved patients to join our growing team. In this position you will play a key role in the overall success of our organization by managing and monitoring the health of our engineering teams. Your core responsibility will be to mentor and grow individual contributors. Other responsibilities may include overseeing engineering projects, improving processes, and collaborating with our leadership team to make necessary adjustments to ensure the successful completion of team goals.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Become an expert on our existing product, understanding our target customers and key market differentiators
- Learn the CareMessage product development process and engineering policies
- Become well-versed in company best practices for mentorship, coaching and performance management
- Build relationships with your direct reports and other key people across the company, including other managers and team leads
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Learn our product development process, engineering polices and procedures
- Provide mentoring and identify avenues of professional development for your direct reports
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering leadership on group resourcing and planning
- Prepare and deliver various engineering-related presentations, both internally to coach and mentor individuals and externally help to attract new talent
- Identify at least one area of improvement within our team and work on a project to optimize our team's success
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Collaborate with Director of Engineering on forecasting long-term business strategies, including resource development plans and budget
- Hire, train, and retain engineering team members
- Work with the Director of Engineering on strategy and long-term goals for the engineering department
- Join forces with other teams across the company, mainly product and customer success, to help identify and solve problems that are hindering product lines ability to reach their goals
- 6+ years of software engineering experience
- 3+ years in a management role
- Experience managing and working in a remote team
- Proven commitment to building and fostering diversity and inclusion
- Ability to evaluate work practices, implement systems and suggest alternatives and refinements where necessary
- Proven experience in coaching, leading and developing a well established engineering team
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with agile development frameworks
Flexible work hours; work from anywhere
Generous medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
Options for Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts
Sponsored annual membership to One Medical
401k retirement plan
Paid parental leave
13 wellness days to be used for anything that comes up in life or self-care
Paid time off (vacation days)
Sabbatical program after 4-year anniversary
15 paid company holidays, including a winter break
Employee Assistance Program
Budget for professional and personal development (conferences, seminars, books, and more)
We are committed to equal opportunity and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, etc.