Product Design Director
Redwood City, CA
Together, we will save millions of lives.
Carrot Inc. is using technology, clinical expertise, behavioral science, and human-centered design to help change decades-long behavior. Our primary focus is to help people quit smoking, which is still the biggest cause of preventable death in the U.S. But, we’re acting urgently to change that. We’re completely changing the relationship we’re building with smokers through our service, and we’re attracting those who are both ready to quit and those who are not through our FDA-cleared product. As a pioneer in consumer digital health and wearables technology, design is a critical part of Carrot’s vision and ultimate success.
As a Product Design Director, you’ll be a key leader in the expanding Design organization at Carrot. Our audience is comprised of people seeking to make substantial changes in their habits and life. As such, this opportunity will challenge you to think deeply about their needs, mindset, and motivations in order to imagine original solutions that are clear, concise, empathetic, supportive, and non-judgmental. You’ll be at the forefront of defining new ways to track progress, help people stay motivated, and continuously engage people in a lengthy journey of confidence-building and taking on step-wise challenges. You’ll have the unique opportunity to imagine, lead, and help bring to market a broad range of products and deliverables across hardware, multiple mobile and Web applications for a variety of audiences including consumers, behavioral coaches, content creators, and more.
In this journey, you’ll collaborate with Product Managers, Engineering Directors, behavioral scientists, coaches, content creators, executives and of course, end users to define Carrot’s roadmap. You’ll lead the design of the participant experience, defining product features through user feedback, rapid iteration, and detailed implementation. Your days will be spent defining problems through behavioral science principles, data, and user feedback, crafting a vision, defining and managing a design system for the product, and providing mentorship to a range of designers.
What you will be doing
- Create and develop the product vision for a variety of complex and abstract problems, collaborating with our entire design, product management, engineering, and executive teams to arrive at the best solutions
- Be a strong, empathetic voice for our participants. Complement our quantitative data with qualitative insights that support strong product design decisions
- Define and lead human centered design processes that result in creative, impactful solutions and ensure smooth, on-time, and consistent delivery
- Define, practice, and manage a high bar for what great craft and delivery looks like at Carrot
- Provide mentorship and guidance to a growing team of designers
- Help to shape and craft the design culture for an early stage startup by hiring, evolving our processes, and establishing visual and interactive standards.
What you should have
- 10+ years of relevant experience hiring, managing, and coaching teams of talented designers
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in (UX/Visual Design, HCI, Industrial Design or similar degrees preferred)
- Experience leading the design of engaging user experiences that ship across web and native apps
- Strong visual and interaction design judgment and the ability to think systematically
- Ability to craft and advocate for a compelling story/point of view that connects design solutions to results, while being able to listen and incorporate diverse perspectives that balance both user and company goals
- Proficiency in implementing and teaching user-centered, agile design methodologies that include iterative prototyping and experimentation
- Passion for building beautifully crafted experiences – incredible attention to detail in language, usability and design with a proven track-record for shipping high quality experiences
- Domain expertise in digital health a plus
At Carrot, we'll take care of you.
In addition to competitive salaries, challenging work assignments, and developmental opportunities, we offer medical, dental and vision insurance, stock options and generous PTO, including dedicated time for volunteering.
Office location featuring Bay Trails access to the waterway, walking path, full service gym with pool, world class cafe on-site, Caltrain shuttle and close proximity to 101.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.