Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
Redwood City, CA
As a senior software engineer at Carrot, you will be part of the core team building the applications our clients rely on in their journey to quit smoking. We believe in standing up a healthy service that is secure, scalable, and stable. This role will allow you to own and drive our backend core libraries and services in design, development and maintenance. As an ideal candidate, you will drive to raise the bar for yourself, your team, and the company every day.
Backed by Khosla Ventures, R7 Partners, Lynne & Marc Benioff and led by a team with deep medical industry experience, Carrot is on a mission to save lives by leveraging technology to bring the most effective methods of smoking cessation to the masses. Joining at this formative stage, you’ll have the unique opportunity help bring to market a broad range of projects and deliverables across multiple mobile and Web applications for a variety of audiences including consumers, behavioral coaches, content creators, and more.
You will be embedded directly with product and operations teams. You will become an expert across all clients and advocate for the highest quality standards in any release. Where applicable, you will also offer input on how product functionality can be improved and are excited by the prospect of rapid company and career growth.
What you'll be doing
- Developing and maintaining core libraries, services and/or platforms written in node.js utilizing RabbitMQ, and Postgres (AWS environment)
- Work closely with product, hardware and design teams to build services that support a variety of users with different roles
- Build the internal coaching platform services to support deep data analysis and real-time communication with our native mobile apps
- Assist our business strategy and data teams in building features and experiments
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Implement deployment and monitoring infrastructure to ensure smooth development cycle and a stable production environment
- Identify and communicate back-end best practices
What you've done
- Built, maintained and evolved core libraries, services and/or platforms
- Expert level proficiency in server-side (node.js + frameworks) technologies
- Helped teams adopt and/or migrate to your technology solutions
- Built and operated scalable, fault tolerant, distributed systems
- Utilized cloud-based solutions
- Addressed complex architectural problems with simple, intuitive design
- Experience running Docker containers in a variety of environments
- Deep understanding of unit testing
- Bonus points for experience working on software that is HIPAA/PCI/ISO27001 compliant
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related discipline
- Point us to your github projects you are most proud of!
At Carrot, we'll take care of you
In addition to competitive salaries, exciting work assignments and ample opportunities for growth, we offer medical, dental and vision insurance, stock options and generous PTO. Additionally, you will receive paid VTO (volunteer time off) to #dogood alongside your team or on your own at an organization that's close to your heart. To help you plan for the future, we also offer a 401K plan and complimentary Life- and LTD coverage.
Our office location features bay trail access to the waterway, walking and running trails, a complimentary membership to our full-service gym with pool, free lunches at a world class cafe on-site, a complimentary Caltrain shuttle and close proximity to 101.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Carrot. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.