Front-end Engineer (Professional Services)
Sevilla, Spain /
Solutions – Engineering - Professional Services /
From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, strategic store placements and more.
Everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, use our software and location data to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the LI space.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Front-End team. You will work with an experienced team to build cutting-edge web applications that show beautiful maps and meaningful geospatial apps.
Location: this position is based in our Sevilla office, although we accept candidates working remotely. If you work remotely, some sporadic trips to Seville will be required, to gather with your coworkers or to attend some relevant events. In any case, no more than 5% of your time.
What will you learn on the job?
- You will work with the most relevant spatial visualization technologies. Be ready to talk with top geospatial engineers from companies like Microsoft, Uber, Google, Nvidia, etc.. CARTO developed the MVTLayer to move Deck.gl from layers <1GB to unlimited.
- You will turn the concepts and flows from the designers into actionable web components. In addition, you’ll collaborate closely with the Backend team to define the API and the communication between components.
- You’ll learn about modern FrontEnd, mapping and geospatial development. And if you already have experience in those fields, we’ll be happy to learn from you.
What will your daily job consist of?
- You will work on several projects for our customers, being part of a team that includes roles like backend engineer, data scientist, designer and project manager. You’ll be responsible for awesome visualizations of huge datasets that turn into geospatial insights.
- Because Professional Services is the first client of the technology built by CARTO, you will have regular meetings with the frontend team on the product side to get feedback and propose improvements.
What results will you be held accountable for?
- You will help us develop a set of well designed components for UI, in location intelligence applications (either CARTO web applications or in custom integrations with 3rd party products).
What does success look like on the job?
- After a few months, you will be a full member of the team, with enough experience to work in several and quite different projects. You’ll have learned more about our solutions so you’ll be able to have bigger autonomy.
- A solid 5+ years experience as a developer, with a mature approach to the job (git/github, documentation, testing, profiling...).
- +3 years of experience with web development at the frontend side. We need you to know either Vue or Angular.
- Fluid communication skills.
- A good English level (really!, a big chunk of our communication is in English).
- Autonomy, curiosity & good energy.
- A true will to teach & learn from your coworkers (pair programming, code reviews…).
- Nice to have
- Experience with mapping libraries (Google Maps, Leaflet…), especially with client-side rendering technology (deck.gl, MapboxGL…)
- Experience in Computer Graphics is also appreciated (d3, three.js, WebGL…)
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).