In-House Counsel (Full-Time Parental Leave Cover)
Remote - Spain /
Operations – Finance & Legal /
From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way we run businesses. Everything happens somewhere, but visualizing data to see where things are isn’t the same as understanding why they happen there. CARTO is the world’s leading Location Intelligence platform, enabling organizations to use spatial data and analysis for more efficient delivery routes, better behavioral marketing, strategic store placements, and much more.
Data Scientists, Developers, and Analysts use CARTO to optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes through the power of Spatial Data Science.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the LI space.
CARTO works with big private organizations like Google and Mastercard, but also with governments and NGOs to fight COVID-19 and climate change. We provide hundreds of grants to different organizations around sustainability and inequality issues. We believe spatial analytics will be critical for the future of our societies and environment.
We are looking for a seasoned attorney, on a freelance or “contrato definido” basis, to cover a parental leave in our legal department, with the possibility that this role will turn into a non-temporary position. The successful candidate’s primary responsibility will be to review, advise, and negotiate issues involving complex customer contracts, and to provide a variety of general commercial legal services to the organization. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will extensively partner with all departments and regularly interact with outside counsel and other third parties.
Location. This position can be based out of CARTO's Madrid or Seville offices, or remote, based in Spain.
- Serve as a legal advisor to the sales, sales operations, support, product, marketing, and human resources departments, working collaboratively and closely to facilitate a partnering-based approach to the search for solutions;
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of complex sales, partnership, SaaS, and services contracts and other agreements with customers, suppliers, and others who desire to contract with CARTO, including all of our commercial contracts and vendor agreements;
- Stay on top of applicable legal developments, and use critical thinking to provide proactive and strategic solutions to eliminate or mitigate identified or anticipated risks; and
- Communicate with and manage relationships with external counsel.
- 5+ years of experience within a fast-paced SaaS company/technology industry, and/or in a law firm counseling rapid-growth technology companies;
- C2- to native-level fluency in the English and Spanish languages;
- Solid and practical legal and business judgment, with the ability to work quickly and competently in assessing and evaluating legal exposure and risks—and clearly communicate these to internal stakeholders to develop client-focused and commercially sound solutions;
- Experience reviewing, drafting, structuring, and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including master services agreements, cloud and on-premises terms, SLAs, statements of work, licensing agreements, partnership agreements, and NDAs;
- An aptitude for thinking quickly on your feet, conveying grace under pressure, and simultaneously managing workloads, the demands of numerous clients, and shifting priorities;
- A quality-focused work ethic; and willingness to manage legal issues in US Time zones
- Fluency with Google G Suite, Microsoft Office, DocuSign; familiarity with Salesforce and Slack pluses.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment at the center of Madrid
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema :)
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).
Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers