Support Engineer - Remote
New York, New York /
Solutions – Support /
From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioural marketing, deforestation tracking, and more.
CARTO enables a type of advanced analytics specialized in spatial location. Our platform provides tools for visualization, data management, and analysis of large spatial datasets. We are one of the main contributors to free and open-source geospatial software, like PostGIS or Deck.gl. We also run one of the biggest clusters of PostGIS enabled databases in the world.
Backed by leading VC firms Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, CARTO is poised to lead the Location Intelligence space.
CARTO works with big private organizations like Google, Procter & Gamble, Mastercard, etc., but also with governments and NGOs to fight COVID-19 or climate change. We provide hundreds of grants to different organizations around sustainability and inequality issues. Spatial analytics will be critical for the future of our societies and environment.
With hundreds of thousands of users as of today, we are pioneering a new community of Spatial Data Scientists. Check out our yearly Spatial Data Science Conference.
What are we looking for
We are looking for a talented, enthusiastic, and client-minded Support Engineer to help keep our customers and partners happy and engaged, and to help grow their use of location intelligence to solve problems. You will understand customer needs, advocate internally for solutions, and communicate effectively to provide the best possible customer experience.
The position is open to remote but based in the USA. In fact, we are mostly working remotely right now, but we have offices in New York, Madrid, and Seville.
What you’ll do
- Provide guidance and best practice advice while answering product- and developer- oriented questions about CARTO’s technology
- Collaborate closely with our Engineering Team on priority issues and acceptance testing; be part of the release process.
- Help with the installation and maintenance of our on-premises customers
- Participate in training sessions for clients and partners
- Solve technical issues our customers are facing with our product
- Find performance solutions for improving customer applications and cases
- Collaborative and client-focused mindset
- Learn quickly and being proactive
- Comfortable working with distributed teams and across time zones
- Interest in technology and the cloud geospatial industry
- Familiarity with geospatial topics:
- Thematic mapping techniques
- Commonly used services, libraries and formats
- Data visualization and science
- Knowledge of:
- Geospatial SQL (preferably with PostGIS)
- Web application debugging
- Systems Administration experience
- Using a terminal to check server logs or running a script
Desirable, but not required
- CARTO stack experience/knowledge
- Experience working with big datasets and ETL tasks
- GitHub experience (using Issues, Pull Requests, etc.)
- Geospatial Python
- Competitive compensation.
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment.
- Excellent benefits, including 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees.
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan
- Generous—really generous—time off, 401k with match, and stock options.
- Growth prospects at a truly welcoming, multicultural and multilingual company.
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
About the team
CARTO’s Support Team, part of the Solutions Team, is a group of world class geospatial experts, cartographers, application architecture and development advisors. Our Support Team is responsible for training, advising, technical consultancy and otherwise supporting our customers across the globe. The Team guides and supports customers from the moment they begin their journey with CARTO, and continues with them through every step of their roadmap.
Do you feel that you don't meet all the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).