Data Engineer - Remote
Remote - Spain /
Strategy – Data /
From smartphones to connected cars, location data is changing the way we live and the way business happens. CARTO is the platform that turns location data into more efficient delivery routes, better behavioral marketing, strategic store placements, and much more.
Everyone, from business analysts to developers and data scientists, use our software and location data to understand where and why things happen, optimize business processes, and predict future outcomes.
Data is more important than ever and the information distilled from it is crucial to take meaningful decisions. We are currently investing in growing the portfolio of third party data sources we work with (check out our Spatial Data Catalog). This means that we are continuously evaluating the value that data from new providers can bring to our customers, we analyse it to understand how it compares to other equivalent data sources, and once we decide to include it as part of our offering we ensure our Data Science, Product and Solutions teams have the right tools to work with it.
As a Data Engineer, you will become a data wrangler. You will take tons of data coming from very heterogeneous data sources, evaluate them to decide which ones are the most interesting for our company strategy, and write code to refine and transform them to allow our customers to extract valuable information from them leveraging the CARTO technologies.
- Be part of the Data team working on pioneer projects for data management, data monetization, visualization, and analytics.
- Build the next-generation spatial data platform for developers and data scientists.
- Learn about modern data tools and platforms, mapping, and geospatial development.
- Understand data from different data providers and run evaluation projects to ensure we work with the best in each field.
- Develop processes and ETL scripts to manipulate the data and to automate the integration processes to make it ready to be consumed in the CARTO platform.
- Develop, test and maintain solutions and tools for the data science team; improving data reliability and quality before it is used for statistical modelling.
- Engage with Product and Engineering teams to integrate and automatise the access of the different data sources throughout our portfolio of products.
- Present your work both to internal decision makers, and at conferences, meet-ups and leading workshops around spatial data science.
- Keep up to date on new developments from industry and academia and presenting and educating the wider company at CARTO
- Passion for data, initiative, a can-do attitude and eagerness to learn with a collaborative mindset
- 3 or more years experience working in the data space; with experience working in the GIS / Location Intelligence industry giving extra points.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Experience with Python and SQL.
- Experience with workflow management platforms such as Apache Airflow.
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS and/or Azure data engineering ecosystems (BigQuery, BigTable, S3, Apache Beam, Hadoop, Spark etc.).
- Be familiar with Big Data formats and technologies such as Avro, Parquet, or ORC.
- Affinity for math problems and algorithms.
- Experience working with teams in multiple locations and cultures.
- Fluency in English.
- Competitive, results-based compensation.
- Access to our employee stock options plan.
- Private medical insurance.
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment.
- Possibility to work from our bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, and even a ping-pong table and cinema.
- Growth prospects at a truly welcoming, multicultural and multilingual company.
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.