Madrid, Community of Madrid, Spain /
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, Decathlon, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 170 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Insight Partners, Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Data Engineer to join us in the task of building the most complete and accessible catalog of geospatial data for our users. As a Data Engineer at CARTO, you will become a data wrangler. You will take tons of data coming from very heterogeneous data sources, evaluate them to decide which ones are the most interesting for our company strategy, and write code to refine and transform them to allow our customers to extract valuable information from them leveraging the CARTO technologies.
The position is based in Spain. It's possible to work remotely from anywhere in Spain, but also to work from our offices in Madrid or Seville.
- Be part of a team of data specialists working on pioneer projects for data management, data monetization, visualization, and analytics.
- Contribute in building the most advanced spatial analytics platform in the market.
- Learn about modern data tools and platforms, mapping, and geospatial development.
- Understand data from different data providers and run evaluation projects to ensure we work with the best in each field.
- Develop processes and ETL scripts to manipulate the data and to automate the integration processes to make it ready to be consumed in the CARTO platform.
- Engage with Product and Engineering teams to integrate and automatise the acces of the different data sources throughout our portfolio of products.
- Present your work both to internal decision makers, and at conferences, meetups and leading workshops around spatial data science.
- Keep up to date on new developments from industry and academia and presenting and educating the wider company at CARTO.
- Passion for data, initiative, a can-do attitude and eagerness to learn with a collaborative mindset
- Two or more years of experience working in the data space; with experience working in the GIS / Location Intelligence industry giving extra points.
- Strong skills with Python and SQL
- Experience with Git and Unix shell
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with workflow management platforms such as Apache Airflow
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS and/or Azure data engineering ecosystems (BigQuery, BigTable, S3, Apache Beam, Hadoop, Spark etc.)
- Be familiar with Big Data formats and technologies such as Avro, Parquet, or ORC
- Affinity for math problems and algorithms
- Experience working with teams in multiple locations and cultures.
- Fluency in English
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education stipend
- English classes
- Growth prospects at a truly welcoming, multicultural and multilingual company
- Possibility to work remotely
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).