Sevilla, Spain /
Engineering – Back-end /
CARTO leads the world of Location Intelligence (LI), empowering organizations to discover insights hidden in their location data and turn them into business impact. We use LI to accelerate innovation, find efficiencies, and disrupt traditional business models. We are the leading geospatial platform where you can solve spatial problems with the best data and analysis.
About the job
We’re looking for an engineer to join our back-end team.
CARTO works with amazing customers like Google, Procter & Gamble, Mastercard, Vodafone, Posterscope, DPD, American Express, T-Mobile, several governments .... they basically push our platform to the limit!
If you love to be in contact with top engineers in geospatial and geospatial data, this is your place! CARTO collaborates with the top OS projects like Deck.gl, Kepler.gl, PostGIS…
The position is open to remote (from any point in Spain), but you can also work out of our Madrid or Seville offices.
Our back-end team owns the whole back-end stack at CARTO, and its main challenge is to support and evolve a platform that:
- It serves around 100TB of data in API’s requests per month.
- Almost 1 billion API calls per month.
- Thousands of PostgreSQL databases.
- Thousand of users.
- Strong SLAs with 99.9% of uptime.
The work of the backend team is mainly divided into two areas:
- High performance Node JS APIs.
- Engine platform to support a SaaS product: authentication and authorization, price plans and billing, user migrations, REST APIs, etc. You can imagine this part as a more classical platform which interacts with a relational database with no high performance requirements.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for someone with:
- Initiative, a can-do attitude and eagerness to learn! Curiosity, energy, and a collaborative mindset.
- 3+ years experience on web development at the back-end side.
- 2+ years with SQL databases. At least 1 year with PostgreSQL.
- Experience working on environments with CI, Testing and Docker.
- You need to work seamlessly with either NodeJS or Ruby on Rails.
- You’re willing to understand every single corner of the platform and you have a do-better attitude. You’re the kind of person who needs to know how the pieces work together and you’re not happy having pieces of code which you don’t understand.
Nice to haves:
- Fluent knowledge on Python
- You’ve played around with Python notebooks and SciPy.
- Experience working with geospatial technology. Mainly PostGIS.
- You have worked with high performance databases.
- You’re familiar with Google Cloud stack. Google Bigquery, Pub/sub, GCS, BigTable.
As a back-end developer in our engineering team you’ll build and improve our Dashboard and APIs that power CARTO’s platform while you contribute with your code to the most powerful open source Location Intelligence platform in the world.
We’re currently building the next generation geo analytics platform for developers and data scientists. It’s built on top of Google Cloud technology (mainly BigQuery). Be ready to work and receive feedback from first class engineers from companies like Uber, Microsoft or Google!
Don’t worry if you don’t have one of the nice to have skills, you’ll acquire them through our on-booarding process.
- A salary between 35-45k€ per year, plus an annual bonus of up to 10% based on company objectives.
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
- Every Friday afternoon is Leapfrog time, when you will be working on whatever you like related to CARTO.
- Private Medical Insurance.
- Position is open to remote but you can also work from our offices: Madrid or Sevilla. Totally up to you!
- A bright, comfortable office, stocked with snacks, good coffee, a self-built arcade, and even a cinema :)
The selection process
Once you apply to this position, this is what you can expect from the selection process:
- A first screening interview with HR.
- An interview with the Backend Lead
- After that, we'll send you a code test where we can learn about your coding skills. It's designed to take no more than 8 hours and it's about coding a small API. You can do it on your own and send it back to us in a timeframe of 1 week or so. A teammate will be available for you to support all of your questions.
- Then you'll have a review interview where you can talk about your solution, decisions made, etc.
We aim at having a transparent process in which you can learn both the technical and cultural side of working at CARTO. Even if you’re not a good fit, we'll give you feedback about the process; we know your time is valuable and we'll be honest with any candidate at any stage of the process if you are not a good fit.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit