Product Designer (UX) - Remote
Madrid, Community of Madrid, Spain /
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, Decathlon, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 150 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Insight Partners, Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
To continue this growth, the Product team is looking for a talented, experienced and pragmatic Interaction Designer, capable of providing and transforming mission-critical goals, insights on behavior, and user motivation into pleasurable, data-rich - but never data overwhelming - product interfaces and experiences. We believe in teamwork, both fun and complex projects, and simple solutions.
The position is open to remote, but it’s also possible to work from our offices in Madrid or Seville.
- Be exposed and be able to shape the beautiful complexity of building a map-making and spatial analytics platform, which is nothing short of breathtaking. If this does not get you going, nothing will.
- Learn a lot about data and analytics, which is a necessity to do the job well.
- Meet, discuss, and learn with and from a blended team of engineers, geographers, product managers, data scientists, marketers, designers and other spatial data experts.
- Help define the product, openly refuse to be at the end of the cascade, and inject yourself into research and problem shaping activities.
- Incorporate analytics and research and apply them intelligently into iterative design solutions.
- Produce user-centered design documentation and devices as personas, sitemaps, usability reports, flows, and wireframes.
- Create and maintain specifications, interface guidelines, and standards across the product.
- With an eye on functional minimalism, you will use, expand and maintain our design system.
- Attend, design, and plan both internal and customer discovery workshops.
- Like the rest of the Design team, you will be a brand advocate, ensuring the CARTO brand gets more robust and reinforced by every deployment on any touchpoint.
- And, of course, you will design intuitive interfaces for both desktop and mobile, micro-interactions, prototypes, etc. that are cohesive and inclusive.
- Experience working in the design of digital B2B products, with at least 4 years experience in a studio or product design environment.
- Your core is on providing on-point functionality, of the sort that becomes second nature for the user.
- Appreciate Visual Design work, not as a coat of paint over your interaction work, but essential to it, even if it is not your doing.
- We think that a proper design job should feel like an excellent excuse to reach the outstanding. Consequently, as a designer at CARTO, you will elaborate on your decisions and back brilliant execution with flawless logic and purpose. However, you are also willing to construct and collaborate on the thinking originated by others.
- You understand design as an ever evolving iterative process.
- You are not religious about your tools and are willing to learn new and better ones if needed. Currently, our primary digital design tool is Sketch - so yes, we work on Macs ;) - but we are always open to trying new ones.
- Some rapid prototyping experience will not hurt (straight code, Principle, Framer…).
- Experience with Design Systems.
- Fluent in English, and with a good level of Spanish being ideal.
- You have a design portfolio with relevant references to share with your application.
- You are welcoming and helpful, looking to work as a team player, and not an inaccessible guru or a know-it-all unicorn.
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).
Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers